eHome and ENE CIR not compatible

aseries

HTPC Specs: Show details

eHome and ENE CIR not compatible

Post by aseries » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:46 am

I have a lot of experience with Windows Media Center installation problems with Windows 7. This one really had me stumped until I noticed the obvious. I am setting up an old MSI GX630 notebook to use with my living room TV and Comcast cable. I was having a lot of difficulty in the TV Signal setup procedure where it identifies the cable box by pressing buttons on the cable box remote. I have a Comcast DTA and I am using a Azend Group MediaGate GP-IR02BK from Amazon to control it. I already have the same setup on another PC I have been using successfully for well over a year. Sometimes WMC would not detect the IR adapter. Sometimes it would hang during the remote ID procedure. This USB device shows up as an Microsoft eHome Infrared Receiver in Device Manager. I noticed I had TWO of them when there should only be one. After a lot of fooling around with device uninstalls and reboots I noticed I had an ENE CIR device. This is a Infrared receiver on the motherboard for remote control of the notebook. I uninstalled the driver software for the ENE CIR, making sure the software was also removed. It now shows only one eHome device and one Unknown device. I was able to finish setup of WMC on the MSI and channel changing works just fine on the Comcast DTA.