No HD audio for M2TS in WMC but fine in GraphEdit?

cncb

HTPC Specs: Show details

No HD audio for M2TS in WMC but fine in GraphEdit?

Post by cncb » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:50 pm

I am having a strange problem of no audio when playing M2TS files (blu-ray rips with HD audio) through WMC. If I load up a file in GraphEdit it uses LAV audio as expected and bitstreams the audio over HDMI. Any idea why it is not doing the same in WMC? Thanks.
Last edited by cncb on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:52 pm

I gotta be 'that guy' - you using a codec pack or third party player inside WMC? Cause it doesn't play HD audio normally.

cncb

Post by cncb » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:07 pm

I'm only using LAV Splitter and LAV Audio with the built-in player. HD Audio works for MKV just not M2TS for some reason.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:14 pm

cncb wrote:I'm only using LAV Splitter and LAV Audio with the built-in player. HD Audio works for MKV just not M2TS for some reason.
I don't know if I'm wording this correctly - but m2ts is handled by WMC by default - so it's probably passing off the contents of that container to the Microsoft decoders. You would have to associate m2ts with the LAV splitter (never installed it by itself, so I don't know if it has association settings). I'm assuming that's what shark's pack does; as that's what I use and it uses LAV to decode.

cncb

Post by cncb » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:36 pm

I'm not sure where the WMC-specific settings would be since the system seems to be set up properly for M2TS and HD Audio (plays properly in GraphEdit).

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:36 pm

cncb wrote:.... (plays properly in GraphEdit).
Graphedit is renditious of Directshow playback.
WMP and WC both prefer Media Foundation 1st, before using Directshow.
This is why the Windows players are failing you when it comes to m2ts files.

I realize using a codecpack is not for everyone. The reputation caused by crappacks over the years is difficult to overcome. These crappacks is what lead me to produce my own pack but I am not posting to entice you to try my releases. An easy solution for you is to get Metafox from my tools page. Its a GUI for mkvtoolnix and will extract the contents from the m2ts file(s) and place them untouched, into an mkv. No re-encoding is done what-so-ever. This software can process a single file of an entire folder. The only caveat is that it does not work over network paths. After installation of Metafox, there will be a shortcut on your Desktop. All you need to do is drag n drop a file or folder to the desktop shortcut and it will begin processing immediately.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

cncb

Post by cncb » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Shark007 wrote:
cncb wrote:.... (plays properly in GraphEdit).
Graphedit is renditious of Directshow playback.
WMP and WC both prefer Media Foundation 1st, before using Directshow.
This is why the Windows players are failing you when it comes to m2ts files.
Thanks for the explanation. I was trying to avoid converting these all back to MKV (I converted them to M2TS for DLNA streaming) but it sounds like the best solution.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:44 pm

cncb wrote: I was trying to avoid converting these all back to MKV (I converted them to M2TS for DLNA streaming) but it sounds like the best solution.
Well, you're making me toss a bit of enticement your way.
(looking beyond the fact that it would play the HD audio in the m2ts files in the Windows players)

My software enables DLNA playback of MKV"s but only when pushed from the PC to the device.
If you use Windows 8, my software will allow you to use the LAV filters during DLNA playback (when pushed).

Whenever you pull the playback using a dlna device to navigate the share on a server/pc, playback relies on the capabilities of the dlna device.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs