New HTPC Build??

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
blupie

HTPC Specs: Show details

New HTPC Build??

Post by blupie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:31 am

I have been doing some research for about a month now and have some ideas on what I want to do. Just need a little help selecting the Hardware that will do what I am planning to do.

This is what I want to accomplish:
Presently, I have Comcast cable service with premium channels . I have 4 LCD HDTV's spread out around the house with maybe a 5th LCD coming. Each TV has a Comcast PVR. All TV are 1080i capable.

1)I want to be able to get rid of the 4 Comcast DVR's

2)Setup a HTPC in my family room( in a wall unit so sound and size should not be an issue, I have a cabinet below LCD TV that is H27", W46" and D 28") with a Windows Media Center 2011 server in my Den as a Media server to be able to Backup and play full 1080i content movies to any LCD TV in the house. Be able to playback HD iso files and rip Blu-Ray content and encode to MKV files.

3) Be able to watch and record live TV on all 4 HDTV's. Listen to music , watch Photos on my Home theatre system.

4) HTPC will be used for some 3D gaming.

5) Surf the web

I will first build the HTPC and then the Windows Media Center 2011 server.

For now I would like to build a HTPC to collect and processes my media. It stores media and also scrubs commercials , copying blurays, transcoding if I need it to. It is connected to my main TV and I am thinking about using WMC on it and Windows 8 Pro?. I might game on it from time to time as well. Initially I will process and store all media on the HTPC until I build the WHS2011 to store media.

I am thinking of using the the Silverstone Grandia Gt08 case since I do not have space issues or noise issues.
What would be a good CPU to use?? I tend to go with Intel only because of habit.
What GPU can do all this??
What is a good motherboard to use?? ATX since size not an issue.
1 SSD for OS
Several 4TB storage drives
1 Blu-Ray burner
Considering a InfiniTV internal 4/6 pci tuner to record and playback Comcast content

Maybe later on a network tuner InifiniTV 6 Eth would be good so I can watch live tv and record from any TV.

Considering using a Zotac HD-11's and they have a Intel Atom D510 1.66 ghz Dual Core for each TV. I thought of using Ceton Echo extenders but I have read that Windows 8 does not support them.

I will run Cat6a cable throughout the house and use gigabit router.

Any suggestions , ideas would be greatly appreciated. Still in the planning phase. Would rather spend a little more now and future proof my setup then to have to redo it in a year or so. As for budget for this HTPC is about 2000.00 US. I am hoping that all that I have asked can be done.

Thanks in advance.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 am

I think an i5 would be sufficient processor, probably the 4670k.
If you're going to game it depends on what type of games, anything heavy maybe a NVidia gtx 760.
I like to use Asus motherboards something with the z87 chipset.
I would just use extenders instead of separate PC's, Xbox 360 if you want windows 8 support now.
And if you think you'll use or need the extra 2 tuners just go with the infinitv6 eth.
Just my 2 cents.

blupie

Post by blupie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:41 pm

Shackleford wrote:I think an i5 would be sufficient processor, probably the 4670k.
If you're going to game it depends on what type of games, anything heavy maybe a NVidia gtx 760.
I like to use Asus motherboards something with the z87 chipset.
I would just use extenders instead of separate PC's, Xbox 360 if you want windows 8 support now.
And if you think you'll use or need the extra 2 tuners just go with the infinitv6 eth.
Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Shackleford for your help. I am building this for my son to game on and the HTPC part is for me. I will look into the i5 4670K and the Nvidia gtx 760. I have looked at the Infinitv6 eth and looks like a good product. Appreciate your suggestions.