Are cable companies charging for HD access for every cc?

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
machausta

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by machausta » Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Comcast manages to get $100/mo out of just about everyone -- I'm on the non-promotional Blast Plus 30mb internet w/ HD via my cablecard only. I've lived all over and Cox was the cheapest during my time in Kansas, Charter was the most reliable, Time Warner sucked the most about channels/packages and their idiots tore the siding off my house, and Comcast is nothing but a bunch of vile bloodsucking minions of the Devil, and their ineptitude knows no bounds.

I'd kill for FIOS here.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Tue May 21, 2013 1:38 pm

dmagerl wrote:I dont have cable, just OTA, but I have a question.

If you dont pay the HD fee, do you still get the local OTA channels in HD? or do you only get to see downgraded SD versions of them?
If you're talking about Comcast, you get all the locals in HD with the limited basic sub. No HD fee needed as long as you can pull them in on clear QAM. That's going away soon btw, and they will issue HD DTAs in return (free for a couple of years I believe, just like the old SD DTAs when they ditched analog). Only good for live TV of course, not good for WMC.

Once they encrypt the local HDs, you'll need a Cablecard but they *should* provide one with limited if you ask. YMMV on the fee if you go that route.

werds

Post by werds » Tue May 21, 2013 2:09 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:

If you dont pay the HD fee, do you still get the local OTA channels in HD? or do you only get to see downgraded SD versions of them?
If you're talking about Comcast, you get all the locals in HD with the limited basic sub. No HD fee needed as long as you can pull them in on clear QAM. That's going away soon btw, and they will issue HD DTAs in return (free for a couple of years I believe, just like the old SD DTAs when they ditched analog). Only good for live TV of course, not good for WMC.

Once they encrypt the local HDs, you'll need a Cablecard but they *should* provide one with limited if you ask. YMMV on the fee if you go that route.
Depends on your service area. In my service area Comcast re-transmits the locals on their own channel listing and even though the OTA feeds are HD, some of the re-transmitted channels are NOT in HD. Now if you tune them in via their clearQAM sub-frequency you can pull them in in the original OTA HD format... but my concern (one that I have shared with Comcast via escalated ticket) is that when Comcast decides to full encrypt everything, we risk the chance of losing some of the access to those HD subfrequencies... and get stuck with their rebroadcast of an SD version =( (where I live antenna does a pitiful job of pulling in said OTA stations so not a viable option either)

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue May 21, 2013 4:29 pm

crawfish wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:
crawfish wrote:This was actually a "repeat customer rate" Our original promotional rate was higher. They don't call propromotional rate, they call 2 year price lock. I am fully aware how to play the game. Have been with FiOS since 2007. :mrgreen:
That's an amazingly low price, especially for that length of time. What competition is in your area? Here, there's uVerse, but AT&T stopped building out literally down the street from me. So there's no competition for Internet, and just AT&T for phone and the satellites for TV. Long term, DirecTV is no cheaper than cable, and I'd probably lose the bundling discount if I switched. My threats to leave feel more hollow and depressing every time I have to issue them, which of course is what they want, to wear me down and make me their ****, until ultimately I bother them no more.

We have Time Warner and FiOS competing head to head. Before FiOS, our Time Warner bill was $150/month for just internet and TV. We had Vonage at the time.

When FiOS expanded, we initially only got Internet and phone through them for $60/month. Then, a few months later, they added TV, which came out to about $90/month. Once the original deal expired, it went up to $120/month, but Time Warner was $90/month for triple play and you get $200 gift card for switching. We switched.

Then, Verizon came knocking on the door with "weclome back" offer of $80/month for triple play. We switched, got $300 gift card, when it ran out, and price went back up to $120, we switched to Time Warner with a $200 gift card, again. Verizon came back a few months later with $65/mo triple play and $250 gift card. Our current price lock expires in December of this year. So, we will most likely be switching again to play their silly little game.

A house with an existing ONT box will get better promotional rates than new installs, since it costs Verizon money to have someone come out run fiber and install ONT. With existing ONT, you can do self install and get another $50 back.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Tue May 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Wow, the competition really helped. I can only wonder how much AT&T might have saved me if they had built out uVerse another couple of blocks.

foogama

Post by foogama » Fri May 24, 2013 2:16 am

I can't speak for other providers, but I know with Comcast, you get downgraded SD versions (which is hysterical, since the OTA ones are in HD). Mentioning this to Comcast's Executive Customer Care team only results in them re-telling you that it's impossible to get HD signal without an "HD Tech Fee," as though explaining this a 2nd time around will make more sense. Frankly, conversing them reminds me of this scene from Idiocracy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fKzw05Q5A

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri May 24, 2013 11:55 am

foogama wrote: I can't speak for other providers, but I know with Comcast, you get downgraded SD versions (which is hysterical, since the OTA ones are in HD). Mentioning this to Comcast's Executive Customer Care team only results in them re-telling you that it's impossible to get HD signal without an "HD Tech Fee," as though explaining this a 2nd time around will make more sense. Frankly, conversing them reminds me of this scene from Idiocracy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fKzw05Q5A
This is interesting and shows how far the FCC has crawled in bed with the cable companies.

Didnt the original digital conversion rules specify that a cable company must transmit an OTA signal in a non-degraded form? That it must appear essentially the same as the OTA transmission? And then it must be available to anyone with a QAM tuner with no additonal charges?

So now we are in the situation where the signals are encrypted and you must pay money to see them, and what you see is not the OTA transmission unless you pay even more money.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri May 24, 2013 4:48 pm

dmagerl wrote:
foogama wrote: I can't speak for other providers, but I know with Comcast, you get downgraded SD versions (which is hysterical, since the OTA ones are in HD). Mentioning this to Comcast's Executive Customer Care team only results in them re-telling you that it's impossible to get HD signal without an "HD Tech Fee," as though explaining this a 2nd time around will make more sense. Frankly, conversing them reminds me of this scene from Idiocracy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fKzw05Q5A
This is interesting and shows how far the FCC has crawled in bed with the cable companies.

Didnt the original digital conversion rules specify that a cable company must transmit an OTA signal in a non-degraded form? That it must appear essentially the same as the OTA transmission? And then it must be available to anyone with a QAM tuner with no additonal charges?

So now we are in the situation where the signals are encrypted and you must pay money to see them, and what you see is not the OTA transmission unless you pay even more money.
Encryption is meant to prevent cable theft by people who either don't pay for any cable service, or "only" have cable internet, and then illegally connect a TV or tuner to the cable line.

Someone with a legitimate TV service will be provided a box or adapter for free at least for a year.

Just as much as you blame FCC for being in bed with the cable companies, they are not getting the TV feed from the local stations for free. They have to pay for it. If someone wants free TV no one is stopping them from making/buying appropriate antenna and tuning in FREE Over the AIr TV in FULL HD quality. So, you can blame this latest move on people with no morals who think that everything is theirs for the taking, even if they did not pay for it.

foogama

Post by foogama » Fri May 24, 2013 11:46 pm

blueiedgod wrote: Just as much as you blame FCC for being in bed with the cable companies, they are not getting the TV feed from the local stations for free. They have to pay for it. If someone wants free TV no one is stopping them from making/buying appropriate antenna and tuning in FREE Over the AIr TV in FULL HD quality. So, you can blame this latest move on people with no morals who think that everything is theirs for the taking, even if they did not pay for it.
You should work for Electronic Arts. Your assumptions of society, customer bases, and stance towards consumers in general would fit very well there. Also, Comcast and EA both placed in the top three for Most Hated Companies in America this year. Coincidence?...

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu May 30, 2013 4:42 pm

foogama wrote:
blueiedgod wrote: Just as much as you blame FCC for being in bed with the cable companies, they are not getting the TV feed from the local stations for free. They have to pay for it. If someone wants free TV no one is stopping them from making/buying appropriate antenna and tuning in FREE Over the AIr TV in FULL HD quality. So, you can blame this latest move on people with no morals who think that everything is theirs for the taking, even if they did not pay for it.
You should work for Electronic Arts. Your assumptions of society, customer bases, and stance towards consumers in general would fit very well there. Also, Comcast and EA both placed in the top three for Most Hated Companies in America this year. Coincidence?...
Will you work for free?

Din't think so. Why should someone else work for free?

If you want to be altruistic, set up an antenna, set up multiple tuners, set up a server and broadcast all of the free OTA channels to anyone who wants to use your paid internet connection so that they don't have to bother setting up an antenna. You will have to pay for server, antennas, tuners, broadband connection, and electricity to run it all.

Then, when you try to put ads, or charge people, just to cover your costs, I will come in and tell you that you are "evil capitalist" and you are the most hated person.

I know I would not give rat's ass about my work if they did not pay me to be here.

edit: just noticed that TGB has a filter. I did not type "rat's butt" I used a more "vulgar" term, but it was auto corrected... ha ha ha

ToddD

Post by ToddD » Fri May 31, 2013 3:37 am

barnabas1969 wrote:The real question is how much do you pay overall, and what services do you get for that price?

My cable bill is about $150/month (including taxes). I get 392 unique channels (I remove duplicates from my guide), including 47 music channels, about 25 standard-definition channels, and the remaining 300+ are all HD. The only premium channel I get is Showtime. That price includes internet service (20Mbps download with short bursts up to 30Mbps, and 2Mbps upload with no monthly caps). I have two cable cards and no cable boxes.

So... what service do you get, and how much does it cost?
You should call Brighthouse and renegotiate your rate. They are running a 2 year promotion (a promotion not a contract) for TV + 30 Mb internet for $97. Add Phone for $10 more. Of course your Showtime and Cable Cards would be an add-on. Lighting 40 ,60 and in mid June 90 are also available as add-ons.

foogama

Post by foogama » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

blueiedgod wrote: Will you work for free?

If you want to be altruistic, set up an antenna, set up multiple tuners, set up a server and broadcast all of the free OTA channels to anyone who wants to use your paid internet connection so that they don't have to bother setting up an antenna. You will have to pay for server, antennas, tuners, broadband connection, and electricity to run it all.

Then, when you try to put ads, or charge people, just to cover your costs, I will come in and tell you that you are "evil capitalist" and you are the most hated person.

I know I would not give rat's butt about my work if they did not pay me to be here.

edit: just noticed that TGB has a filter. I did not type "rat's butt" I used a more "vulgar" term, but it was auto corrected... ha ha ha
Yeaaaaah, don't really ever recall discussing labor compensation there; this thread is about charging for services twice/unfairly... but it's clear you're no stranger to false assumptions, so I'm just going to let this one go.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Which of the assumtions are false, exactly?

Cable theft causes everyone's rates to go up. Simple as that. If you want free TV, get an antenna.
foogama wrote:
blueiedgod wrote: Will you work for free?

I know I would not give rat's butt about my work if they did not pay me to be here.

Yeaaaaah, don't really ever recall discussing labor compensation there; this thread is about charging for services twice/unfairly... but it's clear you're no stranger to false assumptions, so I'm just going to let this one go.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:09 pm

The only cost for HD using OTA is the cost of an antenna and time to install it.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:15 pm

crawfish wrote:Wow, the competition really helped. I can only wonder how much AT&T might have saved me if they had built out uVerse another couple of blocks.
Nothing for me with at&t because they still cannot beat what it costs me using a CableCARD with Charter at full rack rate on their promotional rate. I had Uverse for a spell before Charter got busy with the HD offerings. Uverse PQ is horrendous (Lots of compression and macroblocking artifacts) and their internet speeds are slow compared to Charter. I'm about as cheap as it can get with Charter right now and it is $125/mo with taxes.