Wireless streaming device similar to Ceton Echo?

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
janre

HTPC Specs: Show details

Wireless streaming device similar to Ceton Echo?

Post by janre » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:20 pm

I have windows 7 PC using a ceton infinitv 4 as my HTPC. I’m having a hard time streaming the recorded shows over my network. I’ve tried and failed to set up plex, as well as convert the files from wtv and .edl to a format that my WD live TV will play. I’m currently looking for a hardware solution such as ceton’s echo. However I cannot use the echo because it requires a wired connection to my router.

My router is located in my basement but I do have good coverage thought my home. It is not feasible to run an Ethernet line from the router to my living room and one to my bedroom due to the distance. I contacted ceton who suggested I use a MoCa device. This doesn’t seem like a good option because I will be moving both devices between the living room and the bedroom. I also thought about using a power line adapter but that also didn’t seem like a good option.

What should I do? Thanks any and all help is appreciated

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:48 pm

Wireless is not very good for streaming video. There are a lot threads backing that up. You would be much better off using MOCA or a powerline adapter. If you still want wireless, how about the new Xbox 360 that's coming out?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Well, my sony blu-ray player handles wtv files just fine and it's wireless, no conversion required. I just set up serviio as my DLNA server and added a few lines to the config file so it rendered wtv files properly. The old DMA2100's are also wireless extenders, as are Xboxes (old and new). IMO, Plex kind of stinks because it wants to transcode just about everything. Serviio will at least try to stream native when possible. In any case, MoCa (or DECA) is still your best bet. Not sure why you'd be moving devices around a lot, but MoCa doesn't care. All it does is put ethernet on your coax. I personally use DECA because you can do 2 rooms for under $25 total with parts from ebay.

Another option is simply to get a wireless gaming adapter or bridge for your Echo. Those could be free, $30 or $100 depending on your computer skills.

As the previous poster said, wireless usually works poorly with extenders, so you should really avoid it if at all possible. And buy enough streaming devices for your home so you don't have to constantly move them around. You're just making life difficult for yourself.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:33 pm

janre wrote:I have windows 7 PC using a ceton infinitv 4 as my HTPC. I’m having a hard time streaming the recorded shows over my network. I’ve tried and failed to set up plex, as well as convert the files from wtv and .edl to a format that my WD live TV will play. I’m currently looking for a hardware solution such as ceton’s echo. However I cannot use the echo because it requires a wired connection to my router.

My router is located in my basement but I do have good coverage thought my home. It is not feasible to run an Ethernet line from the router to my living room and one to my bedroom due to the distance. I contacted ceton who suggested I use a MoCa device. This doesn’t seem like a good option because I will be moving both devices between the living room and the bedroom. I also thought about using a power line adapter but that also didn’t seem like a good option.

What should I do? Thanks any and all help is appreciated
Have you run a network speed test, a sustained test, for maybe 10-15 minutes, or an hour to see if your wi-fi is indeed as good as you think it is. Chances are it is not.

If you can't run ethernet due to distance (stated by you), i.e. over 300 feet, then wi-fi is probably non-existant, unless you have some sort of cantenna device to beam signal, or multiple range extenders which add latency to your network. The follow up question would be, if you really have a 300 foot run between living room and bedroom, then you are probably rich enough to pay someone to run the network for you. :mrgreen:

Ethernet is your number 1 choice, MoCA is second choice. If you insist on moving ceton between rooms, install MoCA adapters in both rooms. I find that Verizon FiOS routers make excellent MoCA adapters for like $20.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:42 am

Agreed with others, wireless barely works in the best cases, and if the distance is as far as you claim, there is no any it will work. I will echo (no pun intended) our support department's recommendation for MoCA. Failing that, you can try Powerline, however I'd say powerline works great for 50% of people, and is useless for the other 50%, so make sure you can return them.
HomePNA might be an option (newer gear - old gear was too slow) however I have no experience with it, so I can't comment on if it lives up to its promises.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:54 am

I used Powerline for a while with an Xbox. Video played okay (usually) but the menus were extremely laggy.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:38 pm

For powerline to work properly, both units either have to be on the breaker, or at least on the circuits that are on the same side of the breaker box. If they are on different sides of the breaker box (most breaker boxes have 2 paralel rows of breakers, in some cases the breakers on the same side actually alternate which phase they are feeding of off), that is when you run into issues. The two 120 lines (to make typical 240 residential delivery) usually are not connected together at the house (they may be connected at the transformer level some distance away). So the signal has to be able to jump from one leg of the 240 to the other.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:54 pm

blueiedgod wrote:For powerline to work properly, both units either have to be on the breaker, or at least on the circuits that are on the same side of the breaker box. If they are on different sides of the breaker box (most breaker boxes have 2 paralel rows of breakers, in some cases the breakers on the same side actually alternate which phase they are feeding of off), that is when you run into issues. The two 120 lines (to make typical 240 residential delivery) usually are not connected together at the house (they may be connected at the transformer level some distance away). So the signal has to be able to jump from one leg of the 240 to the other.
The phases actually alternate, not are parallel. A 240V appliance spans the 2 phases. 120 references either phase to neutral.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation