Wanting thoughts on RF remote setup

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Wanting thoughts on RF remote setup

Post by lucasbuck » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm looking at going with an RF setup. Currently using a Harmony One with IR eyes, but redoing and getting rid of some wiring. I have the HTPC in a closet, 2 TV's (bedroom and living room). Xbox as an extender in the closet for the second TV. So not a massively complicated setup.

I was looking at the new Harmony Ultimate, but noticed the new Ceton app for Android. I did some searching and saw the Andi One Android remote, but it's running an older version of Android. I wouldn't mind buying a tablet and setting it up as a remote, but I don't know of any that can do RF. Of course with WIFI I could control Media Center, but not the Xbox, TV and receiver on\off. I don't particularly want to setup IR to RF blasters in the rooms as they never worked well for me years ago and they are kind of cluttered (unless something has changed).

Anyways, just wonder if anyone had any suggestions or could point me to something to look into. Thanks for any help!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:27 pm

For full integration with an Android device, you'll need something like iRule and a Global Cache IP-to-IR device.

Any traditional universal RF remote will work, as will Next Generation with a non-RF universal remote.

A partial solution would be Ceton apps. They will also control your Xbox extenders via IP, as will the Smart Glass app from Microsoft. You'll still have to control your TV and receiver via IR or HDMI-CEC in that case.

My personal preference is a traditional universal RF remote. Mine is an Xsight Touch with an RF base and 6 blasters. It works beautifully on all my devices. My kids will pull out their iPhones and use the Ceton app, Hippo Remote or Smart Glass depending on the situation. I don't like to rely 100% on apps primarily because with no hard buttons, you always have to look down to use them, which I find distracting. I'd rather mindlessly operate my home theater devices by feel and focus on what I'm watching.

Other good options include the new Harmony Ultimate and Harmony Smart Control. URC makes a number of excellent RF remotes as well. If you want a high end, integrated solution, look into Crestron or similar.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply, I went out of town after I posted. I'll research your suggestions and appreciate the info!