Must Media Center must be running for anything to work?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
blah238

HTPC Specs: Show details

Must Media Center must be running for anything to work?

Post by blah238 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:56 am

When I try to use the remote functions or initiate playback of any content through the My Media Center iOS app (on iPod Touch 4th Gen), nothing happens on the host WMC PC (Windows 7 64-bit) unless WMC is already running. Is this by design, a known issue, or what?

TIA

gator99

Post by gator99 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Where are you trying to "view" to? I assume an extender?
From the way I have used it, if you want to control WMC on the pc you are viewing then yes you must have it open, if you are wanting to control an extender then no (WMC runs in the background)

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:30 pm

blah238 wrote:When I try to use the remote functions or initiate playback of any content through the My Media Center iOS app (on iPod Touch 4th Gen), nothing happens on the host WMC PC (Windows 7 64-bit) unless WMC is already running. Is this by design, a known issue, or what?
If WMC isn't running, the app won't start it (or more to the point, the service running on the PC won't start it).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:01 pm

During the beta of the Companion app (now known as My Media Center), there was a request to be able to start Media Center from the app, and it was acknowledged by Ceton... but it didn't happen.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:08 pm

we are working on implementing this.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

blah238

Post by blah238 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:14 am

gator99 wrote:Where are you trying to "view" to? I assume an extender?
Just the WMC host PC, not an extender, although I'll try that with my 360 in a few.
barnabas1969 wrote:During the beta of the Companion app (now known as My Media Center), there was a request to be able to start Media Center from the app, and it was acknowledged by Ceton... but it didn't happen.
That's too bad, thanks for the info though.
Motz wrote:we are working on implementing this.
Thank you! That would be great. Actually I have another (free) app that is able to do this called mediabrowser-rc (no longer under development but still works great), so I'm sure Ceton can make it happen as well.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:28 pm

I'd like the app to be able to turn the Echo extender on/off too. I realize this probably isn't possible with non-Ceton extenders, but since Ceton has full control over the Echo, it should be possible.

Then... I'd like them to publish the IP commands to turn the Echo on/off. That would allow me to fully automate turning off my kids' TV's at night.

Best case, the Echo could be turned off via IP commands, then the Echo would turn off the TV via HDMI-CEC. Worst case, the Echo could be turned off via IP commands and the TV would eventually turn off because there is no video input (all of my TV's do this).

seph

Post by seph » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:14 am

I agree, there should be a feature to open Media Center if it is closed. I have 3 computers (only one hooked up to main HDTV). Would like to walk up to workstation and open Media Center and start controlling.