Ceton and Cablevision

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
gyrene2083

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton and Cablevision

Post by gyrene2083 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:46 am

So I initially tried to setup, with CableVision, and wasn't getting an OOB Lock. Sent a ticket to Ceton, and they quickly assessed it and told me about the OOB. I called CableVision, and they where very helpful and tried everything on their end, and finally had to send a technician out. He came the very next day, and turned out that the actual cable they installed had a loose end, and he re clamped it. Then the Card was bad, and upon further inspection out in the hallway, ( I live in an apt. So the box is out on the floor for everyone.) He said the entire box had to be replaced, because it was an old model, and put in a new trouble ticket. While he was talking to me filling out the paperwork for me to sign, BAM card activated, and TV showed up crystal clear. He noticed that I was assigning 6 tuners, and said but the cable card only has 2. I almost died laughing. He told me when they replace the box outside the signal will improve more. (I was like hell give me more internet speed!)

I programmed the Tuner to record six shows. I already rigged the Ceton, with an 80mm fan on top of it to keep the temps down, (May put a 120mm fan on there, I have a few laying around.) With recording on all 6 tuners, temps are at 52c. Not too bad. I checked the recordings and everything seemed fine. I setup the TV recordings to go to my 1tb internal drive, and got the wife to get me a 2tb drive for Fathers Day. :D When I showed her the actual TV she was happy then I explained that the channel was SD, (CableVision sends dual signals on some channels, ie, channel 7 is ABC, it comes through on my cable box in HD, but on the InfiniTV it comes through as SD) so when she found that out the WAP rating was going down fast, then I told her all I have to do is reset the SD numbers to point to the HD channels and everything will look the same, as the cable box. So right now the WAP rating is about at 70 percent.....I have to program the stinking remote for her too, as she saw me with the keyboard and was already yapping. I told her I wasn't finished programming everything.... :crazy:

I am going using MCEBuddy, so hopefully I can get it to record and transfer the files to the Storage disk.

One question, the time and date is wrong on the actual InfiniTV 6, says the firmware update I installed was in Jan 1980, anyway on fixing that somewhere? Also, are there any tips or tricks that I should know or read up on?
-Semper Fi,
gyrene2083

golfdude

Post by golfdude » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:56 am

the cablevision boxes remap the channels so 7 = hd, and not the SD, and so on.. you can edit the map in windows media center to foward the channels to the hd version ( 700's ) like Ch 7 would foward to 707 (HD), you have to remap the channels manually though to do this, going channel by channel, changing the location.. there another post on this board on how to do it

gyrene2083

Post by gyrene2083 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks golfdude, I already did that. ;)
-Semper Fi,
gyrene2083

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:08 pm

The best solution would be to disable the SD channels and only use the HD counterparts without actually renumbering them. But of course that would require retraining users on how to get to a certain channel...which may be more trouble than it's worth. It may be worth a shot.

gyrene2083

Post by gyrene2083 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks Richard, the Mrs.'s is kind of adjusting so far.....I set everything up via my harmony 880, so she's ok so far. I just need to figure out how to change the actual date and time on the Ceton 6. It's probably nothing, major, just bothers me that it shows the wrong date in the logs. It shows Jan 1980 for some reason.

Really am truly loving this Device. Going to try sometime this week to attach a 360 to it, and so far no issues with CableVision, and also, I have put a 120mm ThermalTake on the ceton to keep it cool. I had an extra one, and I needed the 80mm for a build I was doing. ;)

If you guys have any tips please keep them coming.
-Semper Fi,
gyrene2083

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:08 pm

I have always wished the log in the ceton(s) would be more like my cable modem's log for its time stamps and change when they get the date and time instead of just count up the seconds from when turned on... then the biggest problem would be should the time be UTC or local. On my system, I get the time updated every half hour and will notice something like Jan 7 12:39:53 ocur[21]: ocur: STT time Wed Jun 12 13:56:23 2013 UTC in the logs From these two numbers I can compute the time (my neighborhood had a power outage last week).