InfiniTV 6 ETH Died/Recovered

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
acraigl

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV 6 ETH Died/Recovered

Post by acraigl » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:07 pm

When I turned on my TV this morning, I was greeted with an alert that said a recording could not be started because there are no tuners to satisfy the request (or something like that). Sure enough, when I tried to tune something it said no tuners or tuner conflict.

I inspected the ETH and found it to be very hot to the touch (moreso than normal). The ceton diagnostics could not find the device either. So I restarted the machine but it could not be found again. I unplugged the tuner to reset it, and rebooted the computer for good measure. This time the diagnostic utility found the device, but said it could not tune and needed a refresh from the cable company. While on the phone, the tab refreshed and reported a successful tune. At this point everything seems normal.

No idea why it died/stopped responding. I'm going to try to actively cool it and see if that helps. I'm pretty concerned -- does anyone have any ideas?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:39 pm

A laptop cooler fan can be used to add additional air flow to this and the USB device.

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:30 am

So is overheating a known issue? Seems a shame you have to purchase yet another thing to be always on just to keep this running.
That said I had an old ThermalTake speed controlled fan that is fitting the bill nicely, keeping the ETH much cooler. Keeping my eyes on it...

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 am

acraigl wrote:So is overheating a known issue? Seems a shame you have to purchase yet another thing to be always on just to keep this running.
That said I had an old ThermalTake speed controlled fan that is fitting the bill nicely, keeping the ETH much cooler. Keeping my eyes on it...
Overheating is not a known issue with the InfiniTV 6 ETH. It should not be necessary to add additional cooling.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:56 pm

erkotz wrote:
acraigl wrote:So is overheating a known issue? Seems a shame you have to purchase yet another thing to be always on just to keep this running.
Overheating is not a known issue with the InfiniTV 6 ETH. It should not be necessary to add additional cooling.
That's what I thought, but the suggestion above led me to believe otherwise.
@erkotz: have you seen the behavior I described?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:56 pm

erkotz wrote:
Perhaps not, but covered as an issue and in depth in Andy's review

http://www.missingremote.com/review/cet ... 6-ethernet

acraigl

Post by acraigl » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:21 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
erkotz wrote:
Perhaps not, but covered as an issue and in depth in Andy's review

http://www.missingremote.com/review/cet ... 6-ethernet
Thanks for the link... I hadn't seen that and its a very interesting analysis, particularly with the active cooling.