[ANDROID] 2 issues with quick-tune

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

[ANDROID] 2 issues with quick-tune

Post by staknhalo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:26 am

OK so playing around with the app I discovered 2 issues, one I fixed/found a workaround the other I come to you with :P

1) I have merged channels in my guide. Any duplicate channels I have (CBS HD and CBS SD for example) are merged; with the HD channel taking the higher priority. This way I avoid duplicates and in case one source isn't available (HD-QAM), it will go to the next source (SD-Analogue). Upon first launch of the app, whenever I quick-tuned a channel, it was launching the SD/Analogue version instead of the HD version (even though the source was available, as confirmed by my 2nd HTPC). I did this multiple times with the same result. However, after tuning to the channel manually with my Harmony via the guide (and getting the HD version) I now get the HD version whenever I use quick-tune. So for any others that might come across this - there ya go.

2) When I stop live TV launched via quick-tune, it doesn't go back to the guide or the WMC menu. It just goes to/stays on a blank WMC background screen. This happens only if launched from quick-tune (and doesn't matter if I stop the live TV with the Ceton app or my Harmony). If live TV is launched via my Harmony from the guide, no problems.

Tuner is a Hauppage 2250 on Win 7 x64

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 pm

For issue #2. I will second that motion. I've actually noticed this "issue" for quite some time on previous builds of the app. (since at least 1.2.1 when I first installed it) I was just too lazy to report it... as I don't use the remote function on my Ceton app anyway. (Sorry, I love my Harmony!)

If I tune a channel via the Ceton Companion remote, that works just fine. However, no matter if I use my Harmony or the Ceton remote to "Stop" Live TV... it just goes to a blank blue media center screen. It doesn't go back to the main WMC menu. The kicker... and this is really odd... if I hit "Live TV" or if I re-tune the channel, it will start the start back at the beginning of the TV buffer.

So, let's say I tune into ESPN and start watching a basketball game at 7:15 w/ the Ceton app remote or from quick-tune in the guide. At 7:35, I hit "Stop" (harmony or Ceton app). Blank WMC screen No Menu.
Now, if I hit LiveTV or retune the channel (on either remote), the basketball game will start playing at 7:15.... and I can watch the entire LiveTV buffer of the 20 minute sesion. And it will continue playing after the LiveTV buffer.

This only happens when I tune a channel with the ceton app. I will also note that I have a Headless WMC7 x64, and I use 2 XBox 360s exclusively for watching content.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:08 pm

For #1 I suspect that this happens even if you tune channels in any other way such as from the guide. I didn't change the actual tuning method on the server, but I will look into it.

#2: Looking into it. Very interesting. I have seen the blue screen from time to time, but pressing back or home takes me home. It might just be part of WMC I haven't tried other apps that do tuning.

also fun face about the "fast tune" feature is you can long press on the channels in your Fast Tune and hit more details. This will now only browse your favorite channels for more details :) So if you are like me and only watch about 2 or 3 different channels it is nifty.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 am

I can't speak for UCBearcat, but when I get the blank WMC background nothing works to restore WMC menus. Neither the Ceton app remote or the Harmony. I have to close WMC and reopen it to restore functionality.

stokd

Post by stokd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:28 pm

staknhalo wrote:I can't speak for UCBearcat, but when I get the blank WMC background nothing works to restore WMC menus. Neither the Ceton app remote or the Harmony. I have to close WMC and reopen it to restore functionality.
I can restore the blue background simply by hitting the back or guide buttons. I also noticed the rewind buffer when resuming play from that screen.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 pm

stokd wrote:
staknhalo wrote:I can't speak for UCBearcat, but when I get the blank WMC background nothing works to restore WMC menus. Neither the Ceton app remote or the Harmony. I have to close WMC and reopen it to restore functionality.
I can restore the blue background simply by hitting the back or guide buttons. I also noticed the rewind buffer when resuming play from that screen.
Yeah those don't work for me on either the Harmony or Ceton app remote.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 pm

So, now that we've had several rounds of updates to the Android Media Center app, I wanted to resurrect this old thread. See my post #2 above. This still remains an issue for me.
If I tune a channel with the app, it tunes the channel okay... If I hit stop, I get a blank blue screen. Yes, I can hit back or home to bring the Media Center menus back... but it still "starts over" if I re-tune the channel. (see my ESPN example in my post).
This isn't a showstopper by any means... however it isn't desired functionality.
FYI: I just updated my android devices(s) today to 1.3.5.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Forgot about this thread. Same app version, same results as you; just checked. At least now though back or home works for me as it does for you.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 am

I haven't worked on this at all as it is on the services side, but it is still on my radar.

How wmc works is when you hit stop it tries to go back in the navigation back stack, but how live tv is initiated there is nothing in the back stack so it goes to the home screen.
I Write, Code, and Tweet