How To Get Xbox 360 Remote To Work With Streamzap Remote Rec

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
leebo

HTPC Specs: Show details

How To Get Xbox 360 Remote To Work With Streamzap Remote Rec

Post by leebo » Sat May 11, 2013 9:58 pm

I have an Xbox 360 Live Remote from Microsoft I bought to use with an Xbox. I moved the Xbox to a different room and now use a universal remote to control it.

I would like to use the Xbox remote with a PC running WMC 8. In that PC, I installed a Streamzap remote receiver. The Streamzap remote barely works with Windows 8. I am using the latest drivers, but they are years old and not optimised for Win8.

Are there drivers somewhere that will let me use the Streamzap remote receiver with my Xbox remote control? I'm assuming the receiver is a basic, generic PC remote receiver, and by installing the correct drivers, it would recognize the Xbox remote.

leebo

Post by leebo » Thu May 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Can anyone recommend just an infared USB receiver I can buy so that I can use the Xbox remote?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu May 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Some RC6 dongles should work, but it's a crap shoot because one byte in the signal is different from an Xbox remote versus an MCE remote. So some dongles may reject the signal due to that. Regardless, the new-ish Xbox remote sucks because it is missing a couple of key functions, like Stop, List and Dash. So why not just spend $15 on a decent MCE remote and dongle, and retire or sell the Xbox remote? A compatible dongle alone will cost the same as a remote with a dongle.

I can tell you some that definitely won't work with an Xbox remote: Ortek, Adesso, Hama, Sanoxy and those $7 generic PC remotes on Amazon and ebay. Rosewill, HP, MediaGate or any other "certified" one might work.

All that being said, Win 8 doesn't work well with any remote. The Netflix app, for example, doesn't work with a remote at all. So a new remote or dongle may not be the panacea you think it is.

leebo

Post by leebo » Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 pm

mdavej wrote:Some RC6 dongles should work, but it's a crap shoot because one byte in the signal is different from an Xbox remote versus an MCE remote. So some dongles may reject the signal due to that. Regardless, the new-ish Xbox remote sucks because it is missing a couple of key functions, like Stop, List and Dash. So why not just spend $15 on a decent MCE remote and dongle, and retire or sell the Xbox remote? A compatible dongle alone will cost the same as a remote with a dongle.

I can tell you some that definitely won't work with an Xbox remote: Ortek, Adesso, Hama, Sanoxy and those $7 generic PC remotes on Amazon and ebay. Rosewill, HP, MediaGate or any other "certified" one might work.

All that being said, Win 8 doesn't work well with any remote. The Netflix app, for example, doesn't work with a remote at all. So a new remote or dongle may not be the panacea you think it is.
Sold. Makes sense.
As far as the Netflix app, she was using that before (without a remote), but since I re-did her PC, I just installed the WMC Netflix add on. Maybe the remote will work through WMC.

Any suggestions for a "decent" MCE remote? O models to avoid?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri May 24, 2013 2:39 am

There's a fairly recent thread with lots of suggestions. I personally don't use MCE remotes at all. I find universal remotes much more practical since they can do macros and control everything, not just my PC. I use an Ortek dongle because it's small, cheap, wakes my PC reliably and has very good mouse controls.

In any case, I would definitely avoid those $7 jobs I mentioned earlier. Although they work ok, they are also missing important WMC commands and won't wake your PC. That thread mentioned a nice backlit one, Inteset I think. I just sold mine on ebay. It was very nice. It's backlit, and is somewhat universal, able to learn a few commands for a few different devices, unlike most MCE remotes. There was also an RF one mentioned, but I forgot the name. Rosewill is also a good, popular one.

chris198810

Post by chris198810 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:56 am

mdavej wrote:There's a fairly recent thread with lots of suggestions. I personally don't use MCE remotes at all. I find universal remotes much more practical since they can do macros and control everything, not just my PC. I use an Ortek dongle because it's small, cheap, wakes my PC reliably and has very good mouse controls.

In any case, I would definitely avoid those $7 jobs I mentioned earlier. Although they work ok, they are also missing important WMC commands and won't wake your PC. That thread mentioned a nice backlit one, Inteset I think. I just sold mine on ebay. It was very nice. It's backlit, and is somewhat universal, able to learn a few commands for a few different devices, unlike most MCE remotes. There was also an RF one mentioned, but I forgot the name. Rosewill is also a good, popular one.
It seems to be a fix.