Does My Media Center support uPnP?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
scyto

HTPC Specs: Show details

Does My Media Center support uPnP?

Post by scyto » Thu May 30, 2013 6:15 am

I am cleaning my system, I have manual port mappings but want to move to uPnP to cope with potential IP addr changes etc. from my observations MyMC does NOT appear to use uPnP - I have a UpnP sniffer and it never sees the app put UpnP registrations on the network. other apps configure upnp port mappings on my router just fine.

1. does MyMC use uPnP?
2. if no when will it?
3. if yes what can I do to troubleshoot?

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Thu May 30, 2013 7:21 pm

1- It currently does not.

2- It will in either one of the next few public beta updates. I do not have a timeline for that now other than it has to be in the next 45 days.

3- I'll ping you when available in an alpha

It will be disabled by default though, most consumers don't know what UPnP is and have never updated their router to enable UPnP or patch numerous UPnP security holes sadly :(

scyto

Post by scyto » Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Thanks for the answers, that clears my confusion, happy to help test.
Agree on the enabling and security issues - however telling people to enable it and check for security using something like GRC website has to be easier than telling them how to create a port mapping... :-)