share ntsc over network

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
TheMightyGeckoe

HTPC Specs: Show details

share ntsc over network

Post by TheMightyGeckoe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:29 am

I am tired of searching the internet. It's been 3 days and I have not been able to find a good answer. I have an hauppage 1650 tuner with an ntsc feed coming from the cable company. Is there a way to share that tuner over the network to my tv in the bedroom.

Right now, I am using media portal with the TVserver option but I really like WMC. I have tried dvblink but from what I've read that is only for european users. I do not want to use the xbox360.

Any help from this great community is appreciated.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:25 am

Dma2100?
Should be some on eBay.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

TheMightyGeckoe

Post by TheMightyGeckoe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:50 am

I am wondering if there is a software solution to accomplish this. I would like to use WMC on the computer in the bedroom by detecting the tuner that is located in the den, kinda like dvb link or tvsource with mediaportal but for wmc. From your quick response (thank you), I am guessing not.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:46 am

Is there any specific reason you are using NTSC? Your cable company should also be supporting ATSC & Clear-QAM. The only product that comes to mind is the SiliconDust HDHR, which is a network-based ATSC Clear-QAM tuner.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-us/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

TheMightyGeckoe

Post by TheMightyGeckoe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Maybe I"m using the wrong terminology? ATSC is over the air, clear-QAM is HD over a cable connection, and NTSC is analog cable, right? I do use clear qam with an hdhr3 but only get abc, nbc, cbs, fox and CW. Over my cable connection, I get all of the other SD channels (history, syfy, espn, etc...).

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:54 pm

So, your Hauppauge is in an HTPC elsewhere in the house, and want to be able to view the feed from it on TV in the bedroom? Since you say you are not interested in using XBOX360, Linksys 2100/2200, HP X280N, and D-Link DSM750 are your only options.

If you are thinking of sharing the tuner to an HTPC in the bedtoom, ala Ceton style, I don't think it is possible with Hauppauge. However, as Scallica pointed out, a network attached tuner will allow you to do that.

Another alternative is just get another tuner for the HTPC in the bedroom. MEritline regularly has their Mygica Clear QAM tuners on sale for under $20 shipped. These simply plug into a USB port on one side, and COAX on the other.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:56 pm

TheMightyGeckoe wrote:Maybe I"m using the wrong terminology? ATSC is over the air, clear-QAM is HD over a cable connection, and NTSC is analog cable, right? I do use clear qam with an hdhr3 but only get abc, nbc, cbs, fox and CW. Over my cable connection, I get all of the other SD channels (history, syfy, espn, etc...).
You get those channels with the HDHR3 (History, SyFy, ESPN, etc)? The HDHR3 does not have an NTSC tuner, so if you are getting those channels with the HDHR3, they are ClearQAM. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and CW are always ClearQAM when coming from the cable company.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Agreed that a CableCARD tuner (like the Ceton InfiniTV or SiliconDust HDHR Prime) may be a better choice as it's much easier to share. Beyond that, just buy another NTSC tuner - it will be cheaper/easier than any other solution
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

RWFarley

Post by RWFarley » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:36 am

Any suggestions for an NTSC tuner that's compatible with Win7/HD Home run? I tried a Sabrient (?) USB tuner and totally hosed my HD Home run set-up. I've been without tuners for weeks.

I get pretty good OTA, plus about 3-8 QAM channels (changes every few weeks) on cable. The cable also has ~30 NTSC channels....

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Welcome erkotz!

As for the NTSC tuner, I've used Hauppauge in the past with no problems. I'm not sure how many tuners you are looking for or the form factor, but I'd recommend the HVR-2250 (2 tuner PCIe).

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:06 pm

RWFarley wrote:Any suggestions for an NTSC tuner that's compatible with Win7/HD Home run? I tried a Sabrient (?) USB tuner and totally hosed my HD Home run set-up. I've been without tuners for weeks.

I get pretty good OTA, plus about 3-8 QAM channels (changes every few weeks) on cable. The cable also has ~30 NTSC channels....
The HVR-2250 is a tuner that still supports NSTC (analog) but, if you already have cable you really might want to check out the DCR-2650 cable card tuner. Since most cable providers offer the NTSC analog channels in digital form as well. The advantage with a cable card tuner you should receive all the channels you subscribe to, unless you happen to be using a provider who doesn't offer the old Analog channels in digital.

http://www.missingremote.com/review/fir ... able-tuner

RWFarley

Post by RWFarley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:50 am

OK Thanks, but any suggestions for an external (USB or lan) tuner?

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:35 am

look up dvblink. It will do this.

lovemyram4x4

Post by lovemyram4x4 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:18 pm

It's likely your cable provider will be dropping analog feeds before to long, most of the larger have already done so. If you want to get a full channel line up and max your HD content a cablecard tuner might be your best bet. Also I'm pretty sure dvblink should be able to what you want w/ what you have now.