Crimping RJ45 connectors

Talk about setting up your home network.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Crimping RJ45 connectors

Post by werds » Mon May 13, 2013 6:41 pm

OK, so I have previously run cat6 through my house and am familiar with the basics there, I have also connected point to point using wall jacks, nothing difficult there. What I have yet to do is create whole end to end cat 6 runs complete with RJ45 connections on each end. I want to start replacing all my old cables with custom length runs using my spare cat 6 spools.... but for a novice, what is the best complete all in one package for simplicities sake? I know some people are skilled masters at this but I also randomly read on the ethernet of specific RJ45 connectors and tools that make the job as simple as snapping it shut as long as the wires are in the correct locations....

Can anyone please share and or point to amazon or monoprice or your choice in vendor?

Thanks!

asm495

Post by asm495 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:00 pm

I always just find it easier to put wall jacks in place where I want them and then use short patch cables. Personally I never truly got to grips with crimping.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Mon May 13, 2013 8:03 pm

I wouldn't really trust the ones that just snap together. I've never tried them, just seems like they'd fail way easier. Punching down is not difficult and you can save a little scratch (probably very little) by not getting the snap together ones.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Personally I use this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000A ... UTF8&psc=1

Just pick up a pack of connectors and this cuts, strips and crimps. Also works for RJ-11.

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Just make sure to get the right ends for your type of cable.
When I was checking it out before,there were 2 types.
One was for stranded cable and the other type was for solid
conductor wire cable.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 am

leroys1000 wrote:Just make sure to get the right ends for your type of cable.
When I was checking it out before,there were 2 types.
One was for stranded cable and the other type was for solid
conductor wire cable.
+1
Punching solid wire into a stranded jack is a good way to ruin the jack.
In general stranded is made for patch cables as its nice and flexible. Solid is for plenum, in the walls.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 am

werds wrote:but for a novice, what is the best complete all in one package for simplicities sake?
I recommend using EZ crimp RJ-45 connectors. With these EZ connectors, the conductors go all the way through the connector and out the other side, so you can check that the conductors are in the right order.The crimper automatically removes the excess.

Crimper:
http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tools-EZ ... er+tool+ez

Connectors:
http://www.amazon.com/SCP-MODULAR-VOICE ... nectors+EZ
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

werds

Post by werds » Tue May 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Awesome input everyone =) Will take a look at my options now and think it through. Moving to a new house this summer (unexpected circumstances) so I want to do complete end to end cat 6 runs when we do. Will report back in the future when I do it as far as my feedback from novice POV

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Scallica wrote:
werds wrote:but for a novice, what is the best complete all in one package for simplicities sake?
I recommend using EZ crimp RJ-45 connectors. With these EZ connectors, the conductors go all the way through the connector and out the other side, so you can check that the conductors are in the right order.The crimper automatically removes the excess.

Crimper:

Connectors:
Those are very nice! I didn't know something like that existed. The ability for the conductors to go all the way through the connector makes it very simple to verify that all the conductors are in the right order, and are inserted all the way into the connector. It also makes it simple to keep the conductors twisted all the way to the crimp connection.

I didn't know they made something like these. It's a perfect solution for a novice.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue May 14, 2013 3:23 pm

If you're doing a new install, I would strongly recommend jacks. Also however much Cat 6 and Coax you think you will need in each room, double it, and you still will be short in some rooms.
Also get a real impact tool to do the install.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

steve4cr

Post by steve4cr » Tue May 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Make sure you use 568 A or B wiring pattern. If you put the wires down in any old pattern you will have trouble on long lengths (30 ft or more).

More info here http://www.yazzy.org/docs/cat5.html

Image]

werds

Post by werds » Wed May 15, 2013 2:36 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
Scallica wrote:

Crimper:

Connectors:
Those are very nice! I didn't know something like that existed. The ability for the conductors to go all the way through the connector makes it very simple to verify that all the conductors are in the right order, and are inserted all the way into the connector. It also makes it simple to keep the conductors twisted all the way to the crimp connection.

I didn't know they made something like these. It's a perfect solution for a novice.
They are very nice indeed, ended up picking up that crimping tool and ordered a similar RJ45 that was cat 6 since googles states that the cat 6 connectors are a better fit for cat 6 wiring (ionno I might have been wrong right?)
erkotz wrote:If you're doing a new install, I would strongly recommend jacks. Also however much Cat 6 and Coax you think you will need in each room, double it, and you still will be short in some rooms.
Also get a real impact tool to do the install.
Yes indeed! I still have plenty of spare wall jacks I plan on using, my problem is that up until now I have been using a giant hodge podge of different cables I have collected over time, some are cat 5, some are cat 5e, while others are cat 6. Barnabas pointed out how my previous issues with the Silicon Dust tuners may have been network related it dawned on me that I should remove any non cat 6 cable from the equation, since I already have several spools of cat 6 laying around I may as well crimp som rj45's on them to run from the walljacks elsewhere. I can also use this opportunity to replace any possibly failing switch, although currently all of them are gig rated - moving and setting up anew is a good opportunity to clear the clutter and do it the right way!

*Edit* Just finished watching a Youtube of someone using this crimp tool and EZRJ45... I must say it definitely LOOKS simpler than when I used a punch down on the walljack connectors! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNEAHFWwDQU

werds

Post by werds » Fri May 17, 2013 6:06 pm

OK, the verdict is in. THIS IS WAY EASY!Just have to do it with care so you don't nick sheathing or so you don't push through incorrect pin order. Other than that the creating portion is smoking easy... now I still need to test the cables... but that will have to wait until I am at home lol

CBO

Post by CBO » Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Whats a good method for testing to make sure your connections are not only functioning bit you are getting correct speeds? What are the correct speed with overhead?