[Guide] Tuner Pooling Vs. Network Tuners

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Motz

HTPC Specs: Show details

[Guide] Tuner Pooling Vs. Network Tuners

Post by Motz » Sat May 18, 2013 7:40 pm

A few questions have popped up about this so here is my short guide:

Tuner Pooling is a feature of the infiniTV 6 ETH and is supported on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 PCs. This is a type of dynamic allocation of tuners which means that you can setup your infiniTV 6 ETH on multiple computers and all tuners will be shared between them. They are dynamically allocated to each computer when they are requested to be used.

Network Tuners sometimes referred at Bridged Tuners or Network Bridging and is a feature supported on the infiniTV 4 PCIe and infiniTV 4 USB ONLY on Windows 7. This feature allows you to manually assign a tuner to another computer on the network. For instance PC 1 with the infiniTV could have 3 tuners assigned to it for use and 1 tuner assigned to a Laptop in the house for use.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Motz wrote:Tuner Pooling is a feature exclusive to the infiniTV 6 ETH
I'm not sure that's really the best choice of words, considering how there are other devices (made by one of your competitors) that have allowed tuner pooling for many years.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat May 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Ahh well i was talking about the infiniTV line, but yeah i will update lol.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri May 24, 2013 10:57 pm

richard1980 wrote:
Motz wrote:Tuner Pooling is a feature exclusive to the infiniTV 6 ETH
I'm not sure that's really the best choice of words, considering how there are other devices (made by one of your competitors) that have allowed tuner pooling for many years.
The guide is embedded in the InfiniTV subforum, so it would be appropriate to speak to the 'exclusive' feature amongst the InfiniTV line. I know, Po-tato, Pa-tato. ;)

Klownicle

Post by Klownicle » Thu May 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Tuner pooling sounds interesting, sort of use that feature esk on the IvTV4, but not dynamically. I can't do network tuners on 8 using the standard method of assigning a tuner, I have to skip the network wizard alltogether on the client pcs to gain access. Which then shows all 4 tuners per networked pc, but they still must manually be selected during that wizard.

KarlBeem

Post by KarlBeem » Sun May 17, 2015 1:47 pm

I have just setup 2 PCs with an infinitv 6 ETH. There was no mention of tuner pooling. Setup was just like the inifiniTV 4 PCIe setup. What's going on?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun May 17, 2015 6:18 pm

KarlBeem wrote:I have just setup 2 PCs with an infinitv 6 ETH. There was no mention of tuner pooling. Setup was just like the inifiniTV 4 PCIe setup. What's going on?
Read the first post again. It's all automatic, nothing to set up.

bernarda

Post by bernarda » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:12 pm

I just bought a Center Infini Ether 6 and tuner pooling doesn't work in Windows 7 nor is there a way to assign tuners in Windows 8.

I have installed the Ceton software for an Infini 6 Ether for the first time on two Windows 7 PC's and two Windows 8.1pro PC's. In Windows 7, Media Center does not work until I go to Media Center Extras and run the Ceton Tuner setup program where a particular tuner gets assigned to a particular PC. On Windows 8, that Media Center Extras app wasn't installed by the Ceton Installer and the Infini 6 Ether works with Tuner Pooling.

So now I have two PC's with Windows 7 that have assigned Tuners and Two Windows 8 PC's that use Tuner Pooling. This causes huge problems because the Windows 8 PC's will grab tuners that the Windows 7 PC's think they have assigned to them.

How do you get tuner Pooling to work in Windows 7 or assign fixed tuners in Windows 8? Mixing assigned and dynamic tuners is a disaster.

My Infini 6 Ether is updated to the latest firmware shown in the Ceton Diagnostics program. No beta firmwares were available in the diagnostics program.

ewitte

Post by ewitte » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:23 pm

I have two windows 8.1 machines. I'm trying to test it out on computer #2 and then computer 1 starts telling me "subscription required" on computer #1 :( I have to remove from #2 and then reconfigure on #1 to get it to work again.