No analog audio out

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
cncb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cncb » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Can anyone participating in the beta answer tad's question? If so, are there volume buttons on the remote that can control the 2-channel output level?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:54 pm

I have a dumb question to all of you worried about analog audio outputs. If you are using a TV that has an HDMI input, does it not also have an analog audio output on the back of the TV? If so, then you can stop worrying. When your TV does the "HDMI handshake" with the Echo, it will inform the echo that the TV is only capable of 2-channel audio. The echo will send 2-channel audio to your TV. Then, your TV will output 2-channel audio from the rear-panel audio connections.

Can't you just connect audio output from the RCA jacks on the back of your TV to whatever analog stereo device you prefer?

cncb

Post by cncb » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:08 pm

In my case I have an LCD monitor with HDMI input but it doesn't have a decoder or audio output. However, I was under the impression that TVs with analog audio output just either pass through analog audio input or output audio from internally tuned TV channels. Do they actually decode audio from the external HDMI input and output this as analog audio?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:27 pm

cncb wrote:In my case I have an LCD monitor with HDMI input but it doesn't have a decoder or audio output. However, I was under the impression that TVs with analog audio output just either pass through analog audio input or output audio from internally tuned TV channels. Do they actually decode audio from the external HDMI input and output this as analog audio?
I don't know. I assume they will. I can test one of mine this weekend. I have four TV's with HDMI input. Three are low-end, cheap Emerson TV's and one is a high-end Samsung. All of them have analog audio outputs.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Any TV that comes with an ATSC tuner will have a Dolby Digital decoder, as that is a part of the ATSC standard. Additionally, the TVs must be able to decode Dolby Digital from HDMI for output on their internal speakers. Outputting the decoded 2-channel audio over analog would depend on how the TV is built, but I can't imagine a TV that lacks this capability.

cncb

Post by cncb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:29 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I don't know. I assume they will. I can test one of mine this weekend. I have four TV's with HDMI input. Three are low-end, cheap Emerson TV's and one is a high-end Samsung. All of them have analog audio outputs.
Were you ever able to test this? From reading manuals, it has proven impossible for me to tell if they will decode audio input over HDMI and output on analog. If so, I wonder if any also support DTS decoding?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:39 pm

I tried it today. It does not work on my cheap Emerson TV. I tried changing various settings on the Echo and on the TV. None work. I tried both PCM and AC3 audio from the Echo.

cncb

Post by cncb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:30 pm

It's very unfortunate that they decided not to put simple analog outputs with volume control on the Echo. It seems like the only practical way to drive external speakers with the Echo is to buy a costly and large AVR which I'm not willing to do in the 2 locations I would need them.

tad

Post by tad » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:34 pm

cncb wrote:It's very unfortunate that they decided not to put simple analog outputs with volume control on the Echo. It seems like the only practical way to drive external speakers with the Echo is to buy a costly and large AVR which I'm not willing to do in the 2 locations I would need them.
It is very unfortunate, indeed. However, the damage could be mitigated if Ceton would add an option to the settings plugin allowing us to force the optical SPDIF output to 2-channel. That way, we could use a cheap analog to digital converter to drive analog inputs/speakers.

cncb

Post by cncb » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:44 pm

tad wrote: However, the damage could be mitigated if Ceton would add an option to the settings plugin allowing us to force the optical SPDIF output to 2-channel.
Can anyone tell us if this is possible with the current settings plugin for the Echo?

tad

Post by tad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:16 am

cncb wrote:
tad wrote: However, the damage could be mitigated if Ceton would add an option to the settings plugin allowing us to force the optical SPDIF output to 2-channel.
Can anyone tell us if this is possible with the current settings plugin for the Echo?
No, it is not possible. I have (unfortunately) confirmed that the toslink output on the echo does NOT work with the digital to analog converters unless the converter handles decoding and downmixing dolby digital signals.

tad

Post by tad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 am

I just purchased two of these decoders for my echos: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Digital-De ... hd+decoder

They are $50/each, but they should decode the dolby digital signal that the echo outputs. The cheaper ~$15-20 units do not decode dolby digital and therefore do not work with the echo (at least if/until Ceton ever enables the option to output only 2-channel audio in the software). I'll report back once I test them.

Update: Working very well so far. Each unit is very small and light.

cncb

Post by cncb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:38 pm

tad wrote:Update: Working very well so far. Each unit is very small and light.
That's good to hear. Any idea how much power they use (I would expect very little but just curious)? These might be a possibility but not having remote control of the volume might be too much of a pain for me.

tad

Post by tad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 pm

They have a 1 amp 5 volt adapter but I haven't actually hooked it up to a meter. My guess is they would likely work off of the USB jack on the echo, but I'm not certain and probably won't bother testing.

ahyrun

Post by ahyrun » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm

I'm interested in getting an Echo, but am equally disappointed with no analog out (for my multi-zone receiver). My question is, assuming I use HDMI for "main room" and the 5.1 DAC that you list, can I listen to audio simultaneously? Does it output to both HDMI and optical at the same time?

Also, since it's been a few months since your last post, has it been working fine since?

tad

Post by tad » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:25 pm

ahyrun wrote:I'm interested in getting an Echo, but am equally disappointed with no analog out (for my multi-zone receiver). My question is, assuming I use HDMI for "main room" and the 5.1 DAC that you list, can I listen to audio simultaneously? Does it output to both HDMI and optical at the same time?

Also, since it's been a few months since your last post, has it been working fine since?
No - it only outputs to HDMI or optical - not both.

Yes, the adapter I list above (5.1 decoder) has been working fine.

ahyrun

Post by ahyrun » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Wow... OK.. Guess I'll be sticking with my old DMA-2100 then. I was hoping for a faster interface, but this apparently won't do the trick for me.

Thanks.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:50 am

richard1980 wrote:Analog audio? Composite video? Seriously, it's 2012. Upgrade your equipment already, geez.

Others think it, he says it.... :crazy:
On the other hand I find I'm being told my mouth brakes don't work any more....

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:53 am

What are mouth brakes? :)

STC

Post by STC » Wed May 08, 2013 4:16 am

Something I wish my wife had :rolleyes:
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123