Pixelation

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
QingGuy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Pixelation

Post by QingGuy » Fri May 03, 2013 2:18 am

Been running my my Ceton 4 tuner card and WMC for about 10 months. Just the past couple of days I've started to experience Pixelation on programming. Appears to happen if I'm using one or all four tuners. The only thing that has changed in my setup is my son recently started using his X-Box 360 to connect to my HTPC and watch TV.

Any ideas? My wife is driving me crazy as all her Novellas are pixelated. Nothing worse than a Latina who can't watch her Novellas :thumbdown:

EDIT: Just found this thread. Not really sure my issue is the same but I'm very much a beginner at HTPC so what do I know - http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=5029

QingGuy

Post by QingGuy » Fri May 03, 2013 3:02 pm

After doing some research I belive I have low signal strength -20.

I also re-booted my MoCa boxes connected to the HTPC with the Ceton card installed and the other TV we're having the issue with and Pixelation is gone. Checked signal strength and it's still below what Ceton recommends -18 to -19 but picture is now normal.

Should I worry about the low signal strength?

werds

Post by werds » Fri May 03, 2013 4:04 pm

QingGuy wrote:After doing some research I belive I have low signal strength -20.

I also re-booted my MoCa boxes connected to the HTPC with the Ceton card installed and the other TV we're having the issue with and Pixelation is gone. Checked signal strength and it's still below what Ceton recommends -18 to -19 but picture is now normal.

Should I worry about the low signal strength?
We need a bit more info on your setup in order to possibly assist... I see you mentioned moca, does this mean you are using FIOS? or are you on Cable TV?

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Fri May 03, 2013 11:26 pm

QingGuy, How is your SNR (signal to noise ratio)?

QingGuy

Post by QingGuy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:50 pm

I have Cox Cable. I use MoCo (Multi-Media-Over-Coax) adapters to run data over coaxial cable vs. running new Ethernet wires. 4 Tuner card in my HTPC connected to TV and also connected to MoCo adapter, Linksys adapter connected to MoCo adapter connected to TV and Xbox 360 connecting wireless to network.

SNR, if memory serves me correctly was in the 33 range, not in front of the TV now but it was in the range that Ceton FAQ said it should be.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sat May 04, 2013 12:32 am

A SNR of 33 is on the low end of normal. Ideally you want it at 36 or so especially with a low signal strength. But if your picture looks good, I would not worry about it. Remember that signal strength can vary depending on channel frequency so some stations may be fine while others have issues.