Solid, dependable, video card recommendation please

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
bradders

HTPC Specs: Show details

Solid, dependable, video card recommendation please

Post by bradders » Thu May 02, 2013 5:34 pm

First of all I realize the variability and openness of this question - but bear with me please.... :D

I have an Nvidia GeForce GT430 in my media cebte right now - it's an updated card, latest drivers and one I put in there in a (failed) attempt to go all modern and HDMI-ise my set up.

Long story short I am getting what I can only describe as "caching" issues - video stops, audio continues and then a quick burst of accelerated video activity as the video catches up to the audio!!!! not a usable situation. I am going HDMI direct to the TV and digital audio fro the MCE into the A/VR.

What I am looking for is a basic, solid, stable, capable video card that will just get me over these issues..........anyone have any solid recommendations please?
thanks- again, I realize there is likely no single 100% "right answer" but I am in a situation where I just need to get this damned system back to working as it was previously - and knowing this is the internet and I will get replies that say "why don't you put it back to how it was"........that's not an option :D .

So - have at it- GREAT trustworthy video cards and why?

thanks people ,
peace.
DB

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:43 pm

The "latest" version of the drivers may be your issue. Search around this site, and you'll find lots of advice on what version to use. The GT430 works fine for me.

bradders

Post by bradders » Thu May 02, 2013 5:46 pm

sadly - I've already gone through at least 4, probably 5 earlier versions of drivers too - forgot to add that :-)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Did you do a "clean install" of the nVidia drivers when you loaded the older ones? To do this, choose the custom/advanced install option. Then, check the box that says "clean install".

I'm using version 304.79 and it works fine.

bradders

Post by bradders » Thu May 02, 2013 6:03 pm

yes I did.

tell me - as you're using the 430, did you use the 29/59 fix to send "full frame video" to the card - or let it run and choose automatically - I've not had the bug per se - as In when I look at the diag I don't see anything flickering between 29 and 59 I the frame rate screen so assume I am not suffering from that and so have the video setting to "automatic"...........

also - I see posts about disabling "post processing" settings in the card's control panel - what settings would those be - do you have any ideas please?
thanks

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:20 pm

I don't see any difference between automatic and full screen videos either. I don't subscribe to HBO, so that may be why. HBO seems to be the worst offender for 29/59 problems.

Try version 304.79. The post processing usually refers to dynamic contrast. Turn that off.

bradders

Post by bradders » Thu May 02, 2013 6:27 pm

thanks man - tell me is the "dynamic contrast" in the control panel area and is it normally set to "on"?

I will check of course........but am about to drop $40 on a Radeon 6450 - just for Sh!ts & Giggles and with (very) ittle luck on Nvidia - even though it replaced an Nvidia ard - and hence my sticking with them.......

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:49 pm

It's in the nVidia control panel (which is in the Windows control panel).

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:24 pm

The GT 430 is a good GPU to use. I wouldn't give up on it...you just need to find the right driver and settings. Look around here and you'll find some posts by newfiend with a lot of good info.

Also keep in mind that the problem may not be with the GPU. I'm not sure what would cause the issue described in the OP, but I think it's possible that it could be something else besides the GPU.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri May 03, 2013 2:02 am

I have had both a EVGA GT430 and a EVGA GT640 in my HTPC rigs. Both have been really good cards. I use mine with HDMI cables from HTPC to AVR and HDMI cables from AVR to TV. I really haven't had any issues at all with either card, minus the 59/29 Driver issues Nvidia had awhile back. I am using the latest current Driver Package 314.22 w/o issue. I can confirm that this driver passed my 59/29 test with flying colors against my Clone Wars episode I recorded awhile back that exhibits the 59/29 bug. So that latest Driver package seems solid. I have been using it on my HTPC for quite some time with the GT640 with great results.

I agree with Richard1980 that you may have something else at work here causing the issue. Have you updated DirextX 9.0c? If not I would do that to see if it helps your situation .. It may or may not, but can't hurt updating it. Here's a link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35
newfiend~