Simple Screen Dimming at Idle

werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Simple Screen Dimming at Idle

Post by werds » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:03 am

Ok, so recently upgraded our living room tv to a larger 51 inch Plasma TV, unfortunately with my wife on maternity leave and a 3 year old in the house I don't foresee any proper breakin occuring. Many times my wife will pause on a static picture or leave the TV on for hours on the main menu screen.

Now I know that I could turn on the screensaver that is built into WMC and have it do a pictures slideshow or I could install My Memories plugin.... but neither of those do what I want. I simply want a screen saver that slowly over time dims the TV or source picture to a dark grey or total black over time. Is this possible? I know that the function exists in some form as I always have to battle with getting that particular function shut off on the Xbox Extenders whenever I add a new one or every few months when it randomly returns.

Any suggestions?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 am

Like this?

http://lifehacker.com/259136/dim-your-p ... wer-dimmer

BTW, how do you turn off the screen dimming on XBox? And is there a reason I'd want to?

werds

Post by werds » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 pm

adam1991 wrote:Like this?

http://lifehacker.com/259136/dim-your-p ... wer-dimmer

BTW, how do you turn off the screen dimming on XBox? And is there a reason I'd want to?
Thanks, I will have to try that and see how it works. Not sure if it will for all circumstances but it is worth the look! The reason to turn off the screen dimming on Xbox is because when I play movies from Media Browser occasionally the screen would dim on my kids movies to where they could barely see it (screensaving measure) even with the screensaver turned off in the dashboard it would still occur in the middle of my kids watching movies. So I found the following thread that gave a workaround that involves modifying the profile on the HTPC for each individual extender and turning off the screensaver from there. For the most part it works properly and I really have no strong need for the screensaver on my extenders since they are all connected to cheap 32" LED panels which as far as I can tell never suffer from image retention. Even then when they are on the main menu I notice that WMC still does a slight screen dimming when idle for a long time (Not sure the connection between that dimming and the screensaver that shows up during movie playback)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 4863eeb1b/

werds

Post by werds » Wed May 01, 2013 3:12 am

K, tried it out and it looked nice in preview and while in desktop mode but while WMC was open and fullscreened I could never seem to get the screensaver to come on properly... wonder if it was because of recordings going on in the background or something else. Will test it out again later when no recordings or downloads are occuring I guess, unless someone else can duplicate or has seen it work themselves...