WMC7 + WHS?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
tomtoth

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC7 + WHS?

Post by tomtoth » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Guys,
I just wanted to see what the consensus is about perhaps running WHS, in a virtual machine, running on my WMC7 htpc? Since the HTPC is already on all the time.. would it kill the HTPC(performance wise)? Granted I know a separate machine would be best.. but I'm thinking more of my idle power use. (less is better)

HTPC us running a antec greenwatts 380, killawatt says about $45/yr.
CPU:Intel Pentium Dual-Core G620T Sandy Bridge 2.2GHz
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

OR should I do a dedicated WHS, mirror 1.5TB drives?
(I can use older dual core amd 4200/mobo with new mirrors drives) - Power usage is my main concern..

Only care about pictures/music collection.Image backup of Laptops (HP/MAC) would be super helpful with shared drive. Don't care about TV/Movies (Though a lot of people move from htpc to WHS)

Thoughts/ideas/Concerns?

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:53 pm

The purpose of WHS or any type of server is to provide access to data from multiple systems and to provide redundancy. There is absolutely no point to running WHS in a VM on your main system, except for maybe testing purposes.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

tomtoth

Post by tomtoth » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Scallica wrote:The purpose of WHS or any type of server is to provide access to data from multiple systems and to provide redundancy. There is absolutely no point to running WHS in a VM on your main system, except for maybe testing purposes.
If WHS is mirrored on its own drives, I have physical redundancy.. I'm already paying for it to be on..since this machine is on 24x7,(instead of another $50/yr for another machine..) . I am looking at the HP ProLiant MicroServer currently, which I think may be a better alternative..

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:07 pm

I think I'd do it the other way round have WHS as the host OS and then have Windows 7 running in a Virtual Machine. I've never ran this type of setup but some people do.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle