Windows are resized after sleeping / waking PC

andy_d

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows are resized after sleeping / waking PC

Post by andy_d » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:09 pm

I had a similar issue on my desktop (using Display Port) where all my windows were resized when I would shut off monitor. I was able to address that issue by using HDMI

But on my HTPC, I'm already using HDMI. I'm not sure how to prevent my windows from being resized after waking my PC. Anyone else have experience this and know how to handle?

Post by 1454 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:26 pm

What helped lessen the issue for me was to set up screen size specifically in wmc. It still happens occasionally, but very rarely.

Pixelz

Post by Pixelz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:36 am

Is the resizing problem resolved if you ensure the display device is powered on before the HTPC resumes from sleep?
If so, the issue is likely to be a loss of the EDID information which is normally transmitted by the display during an HDMI handshake.

In my experience this power up sequence is a reasonable workaround, except when the HTPC wakes up unattended to record a TV programme and you decide to start watching TV before the recording has finished and the HTPC has gone back to sleep. In this case you may notice a resized desktop, or no video and/or audio, depending on the graphics card/drivers in use for HDMI.

The only fix I've found for this is to use a passive hardware device which remembers the EDID data and supplies it to the HTPC when the display is powered off. In my case the Gefen HDMI Detective did the trick (YMMV), but it's not a cheap solution as you can see from the product link below

http://www.gefen.uk.com/gefen-hdmi-dete ... -2540.html

HTH

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:07 am

That is actually pretty pricey. I'll see how often it comes up and whether the device is justified. If it annoys me enough, I may not have a choice.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:41 am

1454 wrote:What helped lessen the issue for me was to set up screen size specifically in wmc. It still happens occasionally, but very rarely.
This is the most common fix.

I used to need the HDMI Detective on my old setup. I didn't have the problem after I moved so I sold it on ebay