Screen blank when turning on system

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
timhimes

HTPC Specs: Show details

Screen blank when turning on system

Post by timhimes » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:54 pm

I recently replaced a faulty EVGA GT430 with a Galaxy GT430, and the screen remains blanks when the HTPC is on when I turn on the home theater components (only tried it once when coming out of sleep, and it seemed to work). I have a Sony STR-DG820 AVR and Panasonic TC-P58S2, with HDMI through the AVR. Using mouse and keyboard or switching inputs and then back does not fix the issue; only a reboot restores the picture. After rebooting, everything works fine. The other odd issue is that the thumbnails for recorded TV remain grey most of the time rather than showing an image.

After reading some older threads on the other forum, I tried setting the video playback mode to full screen in nVidia Control Panel, but that didn't help.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:51 pm

What happens if you physically unplug the HDMI cable from the graphics card and then re insert it?

It could be the old handshake issue that can sometimes be fixed by creating a custom monitor driver by using moninfo:

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

You could also look at using HdmiYo - it forces the PC and TV to resync:

https://mymce.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/hdmiyo/

Have you tried deleting the TV thumbnail cache to see if that fixes the blank thumbnails?

Stop all ehome services (or start the PC in safe mode) and delete the TVThumb.db file in the hidden folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\thmb

Then reboot, or restart the ehome services.

Media Center will rebuild the .db file the next time you enter the Recorded TV library.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:54 pm

I have the same issue from time to time. Basically what happens is you loose the HDCP handshake between all the components.
If the PC boots up before the TV and AVR are fully on and ready then the HDMI HDCP handshake doesn't happen correctly. I have a Harmony One Remote control that I use for MC. I set it so It powers on the TV and AVR first before the HTPC by setting a bit of a delay in the Harmony one settings, This allows the TV and AVR to power on Before the HTPC and then the Handshake can happen and all is fine. Rebooting the PC will always reinitiate the handshake and then things work..
You can also try HDMIOn here : http://thydzik.com/hdmion-a-solution-to ... on-hd-tvs/
This has fixed the issue for some..
Not sure why your not getting Thumbnails for your recorded tv though.. Do you have any codec packs installed? If so try removing them.
HTH,
newfiend~

lovemyram4x4

Post by lovemyram4x4 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:39 pm

I used have the problem of losing the HDMI handshake over a year ago. I found that if I switch to desktop then back to 7MC it would usually get it back so I then setup MST to close 7MC on suspend and to reopen w/ a delay on resume. Though I no longer seem to have this problem(same hardware throughout but newer drivers) I still have it setup the same way.

timhimes

Post by timhimes » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks for the tips. I did try reseating the HDMI cable, but no joy. I'll try the other solutions when I get home from work.

The only problem with the faulty EVGA GT430 was that the fan stopped working. Is it possible to get a replacement fan for these cards? I never had a single problem with that little card... until the fan stopped working.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:03 pm

newfiend wrote:I have the same issue from time to time. Basically what happens is you loose the HDCP handshake between all the components.
If the PC boots up before the TV and AVR are fully on and ready then the HDMI HDCP handshake doesn't happen correctly. I have a Harmony One Remote control that I use for MC. I set it so It powers on the TV and AVR first before the HTPC by setting a bit of a delay in the Harmony one settings, This allows the TV and AVR to power on Before the HTPC and then the Handshake can happen and all is fine. Rebooting the PC will always reinitiate the handshake and then things work..
You can also try HDMIOn here : http://thydzik.com/hdmion-a-solution-to ... on-hd-tvs/
This has fixed the issue for some..
Not sure why your not getting Thumbnails for your recorded tv though.. Do you have any codec packs installed? If so try removing them.
HTH,
newfiend~
Newfiend

Where in the Harmony software did you set this delay? I was wanting to do the same.

Thanks
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle