2250 no longer tunes QAM channels

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

2250 no longer tunes QAM channels

Post by staknhalo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:02 pm

My cable co recently just went all QAM. The 2x 2250s (in seperate machines) I have won't tune the channels though -through the WinTV app or through WMC (and I ran a rescan in both). WinTV will pick up the channels - but won't tune them - almost as if they're encrypted. But my TV's physical QAM tuner picks them up just fine. They previously worked - and WinTV indicates the physical channel numbers haven't changed.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:21 pm

staknhalo wrote:My cable co recently just went all QAM. The 2x 2250s (in seperate machines) I have won't tune the channels though -through the WinTV app or through WMC (and I ran a rescan in both). WinTV will pick up the channels - but won't tune them - almost as if they're encrypted. But my TV's physical QAM tuner picks them up just fine. They previously worked - and WinTV indicates the physical channel numbers haven't changed.
Have you tried to add the channels manually in Media Center? Media Center will only add channels it can find guide data for.

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Comcast in my area now encrypts all of their channels, making my 2250 useless.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:30 pm

lithium630 wrote:
staknhalo wrote:My cable co recently just went all QAM. The 2x 2250s (in seperate machines) I have won't tune the channels though -through the WinTV app or through WMC (and I ran a rescan in both). WinTV will pick up the channels - but won't tune them - almost as if they're encrypted. But my TV's physical QAM tuner picks them up just fine. They previously worked - and WinTV indicates the physical channel numbers haven't changed.
Have you tried to add the channels manually in Media Center? Media Center will only add channels it can find guide data for.

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Comcast in my area now encrypts all of their channels, making my 2250 useless.
Yeah WinTV reports the physical channels haven't changed - even so I re-added them to Media Center with what the physical channel is reported as - nada. Also tried 256 and 64 modulation - nothing as well.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:54 pm

What frequency/signal level does your tuner report for them? My first thought is that this is a signal issue, and either your TV is getting a better signal, or the TV's tuner does a better job of handling poorer signals.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:30 pm

QAM 256 +40 SNR/-8 signal strength

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:38 pm

It's my provider fracking around with the signal - some channels are starting to come back on every new scan - on new physical numbers. Others I still can't tune (whether it reports a new physical number or not).

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:07 am

staknhalo wrote:It's my provider fracking around with the signal - some channels are starting to come back on every new scan - on new physical numbers. Others I still can't tune (whether it reports a new physical number or not).
Um. Yeah. Here in Glendale, CA when Charter went "All Digital" they not only renumbered the frequency of many of the ClearQAM channels, but it also took them at least two weeks to update the PSIP data on the streams. Add to that they kept one Analog Station to "notify users" that the system was "all digital"... unfortunately they misconfigured that for a few days.. plus the 2250 kept on detecting an analog signal and since at the time zap2it still had the analog channels listed there were issues detecting some things as well... so... next scan, you may need to do it manually and do not select Analog (NTSC) as an available tuner.
Time is on my side.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:51 am

TeddyR wrote:so... next scan, you may need to do it manually and do not select Analog (NTSC) as an available tuner.
Already doing QAM only setup in WMC - I had to edit the registry to enable channels numbered 1000.xx and up in WMC and it can now pick up only a handful of channels. Some of them are ones the WinTV app won't pick up - and some are ones WinTV is already able to tune. They also display the correct channel name in WMC, but the channel numbers reported aren't the correct virtual or physical QAM channel numbers; and are in the 1000's. The WinTV app scans and finds more channels than WMC (all of them actually)- but still a bunch that don't tune (and it reports the physical QAM channel numbers, whether they tune or not). As stated, on the TV's built in tuner, all channels show up and tune - albeit, only displaying their virtual channel numbers. Also, QAM only was working for me for a number of weeks - but they decided to do something with their signal and move around some channels.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Well I sort of figured this out - while WMC doesn't properly detect QAM channels and requires me to manually add them; WinTV usually scans and picks them all up properly. Some channels would tune in with a new physical number and then would go right back to the old physical number and not tune anymore. Some would never display a new physical number. Out of the ones that would tune - I noticed on the physical channels, all the sub numbers were the same as before; while the primary numbers all now fell between 20-39. So I basically had to create 20 diff numbered channels for each individual channel and see which would tune. It was time consuming, but it worked and I now have all my channels back with the proper physical numbers. Whether WinTV is the problem, not picking up the correct sub numbers - or if it's something in the signal coming from my provider, I don't know. I will contact Hauppage and let them know of all this but after dealing with their support, I don't expect anything to come from it.

sfshank

Post by sfshank » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:34 am

I discovered the same problem but think it is more complicated than just the 2250. I have two HTPC's, one with 2250 tuners, the other with HDHomeRun and they both have the same problem; for example, they detect CBS but miss ABC, NBC, Fox and PBS when scanning in WMC. The HTCP with the HDHomeRun tuner has software that can do its own scan and that works perfectly. It also has a program to view TV and that works perfectly, too. I have Comcast, as do you.

I did an image restore on the HTPC with the 2250 tuners to an earlier date that had a prior scan. Everything works fine; I can record and play. But if I rescan, then I lose ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS and some other channels.
I would love to edit the physical frequencies after a rescan, but see no way to do that in WMC. I could create a new channel, but the virtual and physical frequencies end up being the same and a collison results. For example, ABC is virtual 7.1, physical 22.1. Another channel is occupying 22.1 as a virtual channel.