2013.320.1349 Firmware Update

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:31 am

lithium630 wrote:I haven't had any crashes in quite a while.

+1
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:22 pm

My only Echo in service right now is still acting funny. I get the occasional random reboot (which could happen doing literally anything on the Echo... watching live TV, watching recorded TV, watching media from my library, navigating in mediabrowser, or just sitting idle, I've seen it all) But the last few days, I've also noticed something strange during Live TV viewing... The picture will go black, audio will drop and it just sits there. No message, no nothing. Just a black screen. I tried letting it sit several minutes the first time, hoping it might come back to life. I assumed at this point it would be unresponsive, but lo and behold it actually would bring up the guide and navigate as expected. But I couldn't get it to bring up live tv again. Power cycle the echo and everything is fine. It's done this a few times over the last 3 or 4 days. Shrug.

On a different note, I'm taking the "spare" Echo on the road with me for the next two weeks. I figured I can at least use it as a media streamer in the hotel room instead of keeping my laptop occupied with that duty. I won't be able to do anything with live TV, but I can go to sleep listening to the soothing sounds of David Attenborough, and actually see some things in high def on the lovely flat panels in the room instead of the awful not-quite-standard-def that is typical of hotels.

I tested the setup with my laptop and it does work, but it would be a lot simpler if the Echo supported Static IPs. Cough. Cough.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:20 pm

@ajhieb: My phone (HTC Evo 3D) has an HDMI output. It requires an MHL adapter that plugs into the phone's USB port. It allows me to connect the phone to a TV and watch Netflix and movie files that are in the phone. Check to see if your phone has this capability. It comes in real handy in hotel rooms.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Ceton is pulling this firmware to investigate the issues. The following is a quote from my support ticket:

" We've actually pulled the latest beta update as we investigate some reports regarding it. In the meantime, we're going to have you revert your Echo. "

brandenwan

Post by brandenwan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 am

shortcut3d wrote:Ceton is pulling this firmware to investigate the issues. The following is a quote from my support ticket:

" We've actually pulled the latest beta update as we investigate some reports regarding it. In the meantime, we're going to have you revert your Echo. "
Mine does the same thing. I work from home and sometimes I'll have MSNBC on in the background. I haven't noticed rebooting while I'm playing the channel, however if I hit stop and the player just sits there for a while, I will usually get a random reboot. It really hasn't "bothered" me, but only because it has not occurred when I am actually watching something.

Cutriss

Post by Cutriss » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:26 pm

+1 to a bunch of things in this thread.

I started out with this project because I'd been wanting to build a DVR server for a long time, and I was waiting for something like the InfiniTV 4 to come along (WAF was non-existent if we couldn't use the thing with cable). I started with a 360 receiver, but it had habitual network problems, so I plopped the cash down for an Echo.

95% of the time, it's great, and all-in-all, it performs better than the STBs I got from Verizon, so it's an acceptable replacement (and eventually a financial break-even without having to pay STB rental fees). That said, the most important program on TV for my wife for all of 2013 is Game of Thrones, and GoT is when it tends to foul up the most. Especially in motion-scenes. If the camera is largely still and people aren't moving and just talking, it tends to work fine, but once the background starts to move, the frame desyncing becomes quite apparent.

The wife is putting up with it for now, and in two months, it won't be nearly as prominent as it has been in the last couple of weeks, but still, this has been frustrating. If I got a 360 that didn't suffer from the flow control issues and didn't sound like a vacuum cleaner, the Echo would probably go in a drawer somewhere.

Android support is a play-thing. Unless this is going to fix the problems we have now, Ceton really should just put it on ice and get the decoding problems worked out.

[Moderator note: comments regarding static IP for Echo have been moved to the appropriate thread--> http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 552#p49552]