Microsoft’s Xbox vNext To Integrate With Existing TV Cable

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Microsoft’s Xbox vNext To Integrate With Existing TV Cable

Post by newfiend » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 am

MS is placing the XBOX as the center of our Home Entertainment. Of course most of us have known this for some time. It looks as if they are planning to make it the "Go To" device for all our entertainment Music, TV, Internet Video Content and Gaming. Can you see an XBOX replacing your Media Center PC?
more info here: http://microsoft-news.com/microsofts-xb ... -tv-cable/
And also here: http://www.wpcentral.com/next-xbox-and- ... st-friends
And Here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/10/42089 ... ment-plans
It will be interesting to see how this all comes together.
newfiend~

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 am

Eeuugghhh!

"Partnership with content providers" is code for "screw you, users, your only role in this is to provide your credit card number!"

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:16 am

This was an epic fail for Google TV and will be an epic fail for Microsoft as well. It still requires a cable box, and all the fees that go with it, so offers no advantages that I can see over an HTPC. Very disappointing.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am

Great, another US specific solution.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

optikhog

Post by optikhog » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks for the article. This news from Microsoft lands with a dull thud.

I'm wondering if the reviewer for wpcentral.com is actually paid by Microsoft? The comment "I’m most excited about the potential for it to replace my cable box" is not only misguided, but ignorant to the information written in the previous paragraph which indicated that a cable box would be required to use this functionality.

In a world where many people seem to be wanting to get away from cable boxes, this seems like another miss from the guys in Redmond.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:04 pm

mdavej wrote:This was an epic fail for Google TV and will be an epic fail for Microsoft as well. It still requires a cable box, and all the fees that go with it, so offers no advantages that I can see over an HTPC. Very disappointing.
That's what I'm trying to figure out, why they would try to reinvent the failure of Google TV. Perhaps because they have all those Xbox gamer eyeballs anyway?

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:14 pm

Id also like to know how this would work with multiple xboxes or multiple tuners... Would you need a stb for each xbox?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

optikhog

Post by optikhog » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:53 pm

makryger wrote:Id also like to know how this would work with multiple xboxes or multiple tuners... Would you need a stb for each xbox?
Since it's HDMI into the XBox, seems like the answer would be yes - one STB per XBox.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:00 pm

optikhog wrote:
makryger wrote:Id also like to know how this would work with multiple xboxes or multiple tuners... Would you need a stb for each xbox?
Since it's HDMI into the XBox, seems like the answer would be yes - one STB per XBox.
Works for Microsoft, works for the Cable company - what's not to like? As I said abive, our only role in this partnership is to provide our credit card numbers!

Which one is the sarcasm smiley anyway?

optikhog

Post by optikhog » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:40 pm

foxwood wrote:Works for Microsoft, works for the Cable company - what's not to like? As I said abive, our only role in this partnership is to provide our credit card numbers!

Which one is the sarcasm smiley anyway?
+1000. Is Comcast subsidizing this design? :wtf: