Network Tuner Sharing from Win7 to Win8?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
stokd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Network Tuner Sharing from Win7 to Win8?

Post by stokd » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:08 pm

I just picked up a Win8 laptop for the lady, and she is wondering if she can stream live TV from the InfiniTV to her laptop.

As I understand it, Windows 7 allows you to do Network tuner sharing with the InfiniTV, which is where I have my hardware. I recall reading that Windows 8 does not allow this - but does that just mean it does not allow streaming from Win8 InfiniTV boxes to other WIn7/Win8 machines, or does that include streaming from Win7 InfiniTV to Win8 clients as well?

The Ceton FAQ appears to suggest it is not possible to do any sharing with Win8, but has something been updated to change that since then? Thanks.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Their FAQ doesn't make this clear but it is possible to network from W7 to a W8 machine, from what I understand. I'm sure somebody could be more difinitive on the subject.

jhoff80

Post by jhoff80 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:38 pm

If you ever figure this out, please post about it. I really want to upgrade my HTPC to something smaller (mini-ITX most likely) and move the Ceton card to my WHS2011 server instead.

I agree that it's completely unclear whether then mean Windows 8 as the InfiniTV host doesn't work, or if Windows 8 as the client doesn't work, or if it's both.

jhoff80

Post by jhoff80 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Okay, since there was no answer, I gave it a try today (again, from a WHS2011 server (pretty much the same as Windows 7, as far as this stuff is concerned), and it worked perfectly. Since there's no Media Center on the WHS server, I had to do it manually from the Device webpage, but it works great.