CableCard self-install today?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
shoffert

HTPC Specs: Show details

CableCard self-install today?

Post by shoffert » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Does anyone know if the deadline to require cable companies to allow self-install has been extended? I just got done chatting w/ customer service from Brighthouse and they still require a $39 service visit to install a cable card. I even confirmed in the chat that they allow the self-install for leased STBs.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I pursue it further.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:40 pm

It has been extended to August 8, per an announcement by FCC last week (or maybe it was the week before). Well it hasn't really been extended. They just missed the August 1 effective date that they originally wanted. Red tape...

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:06 pm

I am willing to bet that you still won't be able to get them to allow a self install in December.
Here's a good example from 2 weeks ago:
http://www.gizmolovers.com/2011/07/29/t ... oversight/

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 pm

I hate to defend Time Warner, but it's not August 8 yet. They have every right to follow the rules that are in effect today. On August 8, the rules change.

bobdelt

Post by bobdelt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:35 pm

I got a comcast self install kit.

Doesn't mean that I got my ceton infitv tuner to work, but at least i have the card. Now if only comcast could figure out how to make it work. I was pretty close, I think something in my plan didnt allow the cable card to decrypt, and it seems whatever changes they made have made the issue worse.

Wait times have been forever to get to a cablecard person too.

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:48 am

You pretty much have to sacrifice a live chicken to get your Comcast CableCARD working. Took me 5 days, 4 calls to their national activation number, 3 calls to the local techs, and a (free) truck roll which was unnecessary and completely useless. Finally got someone on the national line who applied the right hit to my HDHomerun Prime and now I've been enjoying digital goodness all weekend, so far.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:43 am

Dragonfly wrote:You pretty much have to sacrifice a live chicken to get your Comcast CableCARD working.
Haha, that is unacceptable. I would suggest you both file complaints with the FCC.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct