Recorded TV "jittery" after 5-10 minutes

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
wcassell

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded TV "jittery" after 5-10 minutes

Post by wcassell » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm having a weird issue on all of my extenders (2 different XBoxs) where recorded TV will get jittery, but only after 5-10 minutes. If I then pause, rewind a few seconds, and play again it is "fixed", at least for another 5-10 minutes. On my HTPC the same jitters dont occur. Everything is hard wired.

Any ideas?

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:50 pm

What sort of network controllers do you have? As i understand it, a gigabit nic requires flow control to be enabled because the xbox is only 100mbit.
I have a 10/100 nic and a gigabit switch and experience a similar issue (with similar circumstances).

wcassell

Post by wcassell » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 pm

I'm using a Intel NIC, and have confirmed that flow control is on (Rx and Tx). I do also have an 8 port Gigabyte switch between them as well.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:02 pm

There are known issues with certain Intel NICs and the HD Homerun Prime, but you should've seen this on the PC too if you're using the Prime (I think).

Definitely sounds like a networking issue of some sort if it only happens on the Xboxes though. If you're using the Prime, put the PC, Prime, and Xbox all on the same switch and try. If that still jitters, try a different switch. Same if you're using the InfiniTV tuner. Also make sure your NIC drivers are up to date.

Don't forget to check your PC's resource utilization (network, CPU, memory) when you see the issue.