Does the InfiniTV 4 have to be repaired to cable provider?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
lunarmoon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Does the InfiniTV 4 have to be repaired to cable provider?

Post by lunarmoon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:19 am

I had the Ceton InfiniTV4 (PCI-e) for 3 years. It's great. Now it's time for me to the upgrade my computer. I'm finally getting SSD (OS) and 2TB (recording), right now I just have One HDD with 2 partitions. I have two options, either I'm going to clone my current HDD(hard drive partition) to the SSD or do a fresh install of windows 7 from 32bit to 64bit. If I decide to go with a fresh install does the InfiniTV 4 have to be repaired to cable provide?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 am

No. The card is paired to the device, not the OS. You can moved a paired tuner and it's cable card to a brand new computer without re-pairing the card.

Your copy protected recordings, though, are tied to your current OS and hardware configuration. So if you have any protected content, you will lose it when you build a new machine.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 am

foxwood wrote:Your copy protected recordings, though, are tied to your current OS and hardware configuration. So if you have any protected content, you will lose it when you build a new machine.
Also, contrary to what many other posts mention, you WILL lose the protected content even if you clone the HD in many cases. Cloning the HD may only work in some situations if that is the only change to the hardware configuration. If the destination PC has too many "Variables" changed at once that are part of the DRM calculation (CPU/RAM/Boot Drive/GPU/NIC/etc) then a clean install would be better....
Time is on my side.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Hey TeddyR-
You indicated that cloning the HD might work in some situations in which it is the only change. This has been a question I've had for some time.
So, for example, say I have a 60GB SSD. I snag an image with acronis. Replace the SSD with a new 120GB SSD. Drop the image to the new SSD.
In this case, it sounds like it is a 50/50 crapshoot if it will work or not. Would you say this is a fair statement to make?

To the OP-
It doesn't sound like you're replacing the core hardware *NIC, board, proc, RAM). It sounds like you're just adding an SSD for the OS drive.
If that is the case, it certainly won't hurt to try to clone your current OS partition to the new SSD. Worst thing that will happen is your recordings don't work... in which case, is no different than if you had re-installed the OS from scratch.
For no other reason, this might be a good "test case" for seeing how picky playready can be. Best case scenario... it works, and we have more info regarding limitations with playready.