Odd looking Remote

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Odd looking Remote

Post by foxwood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:26 pm

I came across this remote the other day - 2.4GHz, qwerty keyboard, Universal learning remote, "Motion Mouse" all for only $30!
•Handheld wireless design. Control with one hand.
•Infrared Learning function: This remote model KR200-2 has the capability to learn the functions of any other remote controls of Electronic devices (for example your DVD player)
•Enhanced Wireless QWERTY Keyboard for intenet surfing:Complete keyboard and keys to navigate including special keys like “www”, “@” and “.com”
•Wireless Motion Mouse: To move your screen cursor with the movement of your hand
•Universal Remote Control: With learning function to learn other IR Remote Controls. Details in User manual.
•2.4G Wireless Connection: For fast and uninterrupted connections Used to control PC,HTPC,laptop,TV and MyGica TV box (Sold separately). Powered by built-in 3.7V 500 m A h Rechargeable Battery Micro USB cable included for battery charging

I found it on Meritline, but it's available on Amazon too.

I haven't bought one, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:35 pm

It is funky.

I'd love some of those features in a traditional looking MCE remote - IR learning, 2.4GHz to the PC, and the Wii Motion sounding stuff would be cool!

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:It is funky.

I'd love some of those features in a traditional looking MCE remote - IR learning, 2.4GHz to the PC, and the Wii Motion sounding stuff would be cool!
You mean the gyration remote? Basically has all of that (except no keyboard). Works great, but the company stopped making them, so its an Ebay only affair.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Do you have a smart phone or a tablet? There are some decent apps to fill the seldom keyboard/mouse requirement.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:58 pm

makryger wrote:You mean the gyration remote? Basically has all of that (except no keyboard). Works great, but the company stopped making them, so its an Ebay only affair.
That's my primary remote. I'm not looking forward to the day it dies.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:02 pm

mcewinter wrote:Do you have a smart phone or a tablet? There are some decent apps to fill the seldom keyboard/mouse requirement.
I have a wireless keyboard with a trackball for those requirements - but I like having responsive mouse functionality in the remote itself for those occasions when I want to just minimize WMC and check something on the desktop. It's a lot less hassle than reaching for yet another device.
Last edited by foxwood on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Isn't that remote yet another device?

Edit: My phone and/or my tablet are things I have in front of the TV anyways.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 pm

The awfulness of that device is fascinating. :lol:

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:35 pm

This reminds me of that similar looking Lenovo m&kb. But learning functions......it's definitely a neat...and unique looking device.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:09 pm

crawfish wrote:The awfulness of that device is fascinating. :lol:
I'm 99% certain I saw this device at CES - if this was the device I remember, the build quality seemed poor to me and I generally didn't like it.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 pm

At $29.99, I wouldn't expect the greatest build quality.

But I'm stll hoping that someone else will volunteer to spend their money to try it out :)
Last edited by foxwood on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveJMathews

Post by DaveJMathews » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:04 am

foxwood wrote:
makryger wrote:You mean the gyration remote? Basically has all of that (except no keyboard). Works great, but the company stopped making them, so its an Ebay only affair.
That's my primary remote. I'm not looking forward to the day it dies.
I am half tempted to buy an extra. The only bad review I have ever heard about the gyration air remote is if you drop it you can break the gyration mouse pretty easy.

I snatched mine up from Tigerdirect.com before they ran out of stock. They are no longer making it from what I can tell but there are plenty still out. Dell has their own version of the same remote and works the same. I grabbed the remote keyboard pack. The keyboard is great.

And they have a triple tap driver so you can type using the remote number pad if you want.

Here is the dell version. Pretty nice. Its the air Music version with the LCD display.

Gyration version

It is by far the easiest remote to just add and go for everyone in the house with RF and IR works great. Simple to use and packed with everything to make your HTPC feel like factory AV equipment.

I really want to find the blue backlit Dell UK version. Would go great with my Black/Silver components with blue lights.

**UPDATE** some of the Dell remotes require special hacks of the USB transmitter so do not buy it before you research.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Regarding gyration (sorry, i know kinda off topic), there is a specific receiver that works with the dell brand, and a specific receiver that works with the gyration branded remote. As long as you have the right one, pairing should be quick and easy.

I originally had the gyration-branded remote, but the input buttons were terribly unreliable, and flaked out multiple times. I had to do 2 or 3 RMAs after a bunch of months of each use. I then tried the Dell branded one. Not only did I like the color a lot more, but all the buttons just seemed to work a lot better. After about three years, the connection to the receiver seemed to just stop, so I bought another remote (~$40 a pop from ebay). That one worked for about six months, but then the skip ahead seemed to break. I could have figured out my way around it, but I would have rather just had a new one. So now I have another dell gyration from Ebay.

In summary, they don't seem to be the most reliable remotes out there, but I really could not imagine going to a remote that doesn't use RF or intuitive mouse control.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 pm

makryger wrote:Regarding gyration (sorry, i know kinda off topic), there is a specific receiver that works with the dell brand, and a specific receiver that works with the gyration branded remote. As long as you have the right one, pairing should be quick and easy.
So I can't buy a Dell one on eBay and use it with my Gyration USB dongle?

DaveJMathews

Post by DaveJMathews » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:09 pm

foxwood wrote:
makryger wrote:Regarding gyration (sorry, i know kinda off topic), there is a specific receiver that works with the dell brand, and a specific receiver that works with the gyration branded remote. As long as you have the right one, pairing should be quick and easy.
So I can't buy a Dell one on eBay and use it with my Gyration USB dongle?
No they run off of proprietary wireless usb.. close to Bluetooth but not.

Also watch out for the Dells there are 3 models I have stumbled across so far. One is an Ir only version with a USB to IR receiver, the other is just like Gyration with a usb wireless dongle. The other is a proprietary USB header board that actually went inside the XPS M2010. Its a USB header with funky wiring, you can hack it to make it work with a standard USB header by splicing the wires or even put a usb plug on the end but its more work.

So your research first before you grab a dell version. I think they all look close to the same apart from the "Green button" some are round like the gyration - From what I can tell these are the factory USB dongle/IR ones. The other is more of a rectangle "Green Button" that will need to be hacked.

DaveJMathews

Post by DaveJMathews » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:13 pm

I didn't notice it, but you can see the two different versions remotes in my photos above. The one with the "internal USB header" has the 4 color button at the bottom normally called the "XPS M2010 premium remote". This is the one I plan on getting. Its a little bit to make it work but nothing too hard if your okay with splicing wires or soldering.

All you need to do is download the drivers from dell depending on which version you buy. Plenty of info all over the forums when you get down to it.

here is what the hack looks like, it will take one of your USB headers on your motherboard or USB card.

how to guide: http://hackaday.com/2008/10/08/how-to-b ... er-remote/

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:33 pm

foxwood wrote:I came across this remote the other day - 2.4GHz, qwerty keyboard, Universal learning remote, "Motion Mouse" all for only $30!
•Handheld wireless design. Control with one hand.
•Infrared Learning function: This remote model KR200-2 has the capability to learn the functions of any other remote controls of Electronic devices (for example your DVD player)
•Enhanced Wireless QWERTY Keyboard for intenet surfing:Complete keyboard and keys to navigate including special keys like “www”, “@” and “.com”
•Wireless Motion Mouse: To move your screen cursor with the movement of your hand
•Universal Remote Control: With learning function to learn other IR Remote Controls. Details in User manual.
•2.4G Wireless Connection: For fast and uninterrupted connections Used to control PC,HTPC,laptop,TV and MyGica TV box (Sold separately). Powered by built-in 3.7V 500 m A h Rechargeable Battery Micro USB cable included for battery charging

I found it on Meritline, but it's available on Amazon too.

I haven't bought one, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has.

I actually bought this remote when Meritline had it on sale for $15 shipped. It is pretty useless as a remote, but a handy keyboard when you need to type things up in WMC search of in HULU