Echo Continuously Recovers

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
vert18

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo Continuously Recovers

Post by vert18 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:28 am

what the hell is Ceton recovering screen?

it won't get out of this screen

vert18

Post by vert18 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:01 am

so let me get this straight

I was watching recorded video through the ceton.. played fine
then i went to play another recorded video and it has the circle waiting thing

so after 2 mins at starring at the circle waiting thing.. I turned the ceton off..

upon turning the power back on the ceton.. I get the CETON recovering screen

where it sits and sits
and sits
and then downloads something
then reboots
then spews that wmc needs to use a code to connect the extender

press one for an update
it updates
reboots
then wants WMC to reconnect with a code

are you serious CETON

[removed by mod]

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm

Did you enter the 8-digit code into WMC on the machine that you want to pair with the echo?

vert18

Post by vert18 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:31 pm

it was already paired...

I was wAtching recorded tv shows on it

then it looses its pairing..
it looses its fw updates...
in the middle of trying to watch a simple recorded cable tv show...

pathetic

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 pm

If an unrecoverable error is detected with the Echo operating software/configuration, the Echo will initiate a recovery to factory defaults (the "recovering" screen). This can take up to an hour to complete, and the Echo should not be unplugged or turned off while this is occurring.
Re-pairing will be required after a recovery.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Like Eric said if it got a bad error it recovers itself to factory default. Some other electronics will just turn themselves into a brick.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:02 pm

erkotz wrote:This can take up to an hour to complete,
What can possibly be going on that takes an hour to complete?

I'm just a bystander in all this (I don't have an Echo), but any process that takes an hour to complete without providing very clear feedback to the user as to progress is very badly broken, and should never be seen in any item of consumer electronics.

It might be barely acceptable in a process that the user can only initiate after receiving very clear instructions, but a one hour recovery process initiated by the device itself, out of the blue, without any warning to the user? Nope, not good enough.

vert18

Post by vert18 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 am

Apple TV would never do this...
gen 1,2 or 3.
also I can return it to factory setting by my own volition !!!

so..
it's acceptable for a ceton echo: to error out so badly while you are watching a recoded show; that on its own, forces a recovery to its factory firmware. thus making you wait till it recovers and finally you have to re-pair it to wmc and update it all while yourself or family or such _waits_ for up to an hour to watch tv...

just hope i didn't have the popcorn ready right before it does this eh..?

this type of reasoning is what upsets your consumers.. how dare you sell this product to the public in its current state

your product isn't very well thought out

r8002007

Post by r8002007 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Wow, sounds like you need to stick with your Apple TV. You'll be able to eat your popcorn while it's still warm.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:16 pm

When the apple TV streams live and recorded TV let me know. I'll go grab one.

vert18

Post by vert18 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:49 pm

uh the echo cant even play recorded tv right as par my post...

being apologetic and defeating the purpose of the post which was to warn others of just how pathetic the echo can get is rather rude of you two...

I believe the Apple TV 2 can be jail broken and stream live tv with DNLA
and can be souped up to just about handle any media file container to play back .. (ya so what DNLA is beta.. please don't spew about that)

[Moderator note: unnecessary remarks removed]

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm confused, Sammy. What does live TV streaming have to do with a one hour rest process? Does the Xbox or the Linksys take an hour to reset?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:14 pm

I was responding to the apple TV thing. The fact of the matter is that apple TV does not offer an EPG or playback of Live or Recorded TV especially content flagged as copy once. Yes dlna is in beta but the echo does that now and quite well actually.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:23 pm

In other words you deliberately ignored the point that every other piece of consumer electronics that does a similar job of taking data from the network and delivering it to a TV, whether it be from Roku, Linksys, WD, Google, HP, Sony, Joe's Crab Shack, Crazy Mac's Electronics Bazaar, even Microsoft, can reset in less than an hour, and attacked the guy for mentioning Apple.

Cryofax

Post by Cryofax » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:05 am

Sammy's reply was appropriate to that comment. The guy said "stick with your Apple TV". Which is like saying "Your washing machine is having trouble, stick with your microwave". You can't use Apple TV as a substitute for the echo since it can't do what the echo does. The Apple TV comment was just a random non sequiter. Sammy's reply was just pointing that out. I don't think he meant to say that made the recovery time somehow just fine.

As to the other stuff, I have no idea why recovery would take an hour. But I've had two of these for months without such an occurrence so I hope it's just an outier that it happened at all. I agree that what happened sucked. Maybe it got a power spike or static charge.

vert18

Post by vert18 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:37 am

the fanboys ruin every post that has a complaint & nothing they say helps the situation most of the time

considering SD beta of DNLA TV isn't considered beta anymore(the new fw isn't labeled beta & is the same fw as stable fw).

I've streamed from my ps3 to my tv without wmc or an wmc extender last night with only commercials pixilated at first 1-2 (and not all the time) seconds as they start from a show

I've also used airplay from a mobile device to stream DNLA live TV from my iphone to my Apple TV last night and today .. premium channels work as well as OTA

now a channel tv line up listing is another matter .. maybe ill dig something up like myth tv has(haven't looked)... but what is going to present that.. maybe plex or such..

wonder how much longer ill be using my two echos and my wmc pc, granted I've installed channel logos & tuna salad and it looks rather nice in the menus...

oh, back on subject the echo that had that recovery for a good solid amount of time hasn't acted up again in two days...

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 am

Sammy2 wrote:Like Eric said if it got a bad error it recovers itself to factory default. Some other electronics will just turn themselves into a brick.
Please cite a single example of a device that will brick itself while being used for its primary function. (Keeping in mind the OP was watching Live TV when this happened, not in the middle of a firmware update)

The main problem isn't that it took an hour to recover, or even that it was doing a recovery at all. The main problem is that in the middle of watching TV the device had an unrecoverable error. We're months out of beta now. We should be long past the point of devices spontaneously rebooting.