HD HomeRun Prime dropping connection

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
watts3000

HTPC Specs: Show details

HD HomeRun Prime dropping connection

Post by watts3000 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Guys I'm running WMC 7 with an HDHR Prime tuner I also use a Cisco STA1520 for SDV. I am having some strange problems out of media center for example on one TV I had ESPN playing after about 15 to 30 minutes the connection was dropped and I received error no tuner available to satisfy the current request I've also received Viewing or listening conflict. Now there was no recording going on and I was the only one watching TV the other one was not accessing the Prime. I'm running the latest firmware on the prime and I have the latest software version installed on my media pcs so I must ask has anyone here seen this before?

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Had an issue with "no tuner available" error while watching basketball on CBS this past weekend (HDHR Prime tuner, however I have an internal tv tuner as well). I was able to record and then watch from recorded tv but could not tune any channel for live tv (the issue did not impact live tv on my extenders). I restarted my HTPC later that evening and the issue went away. Obviously that isn't a true fix but I don't get surprised by occasional tuner issues anymore, they seem to be a fact of life in WMC.

watts3000

Post by watts3000 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 pm

The problem with this is a reboot does not fix it the problem keeps coming up over and over again.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:11 am

^^^Try disabling the Windows Firewall. Although the HDHR installer does add a firewall exception rule, sometimes the firewall will still interfere. If you have any security software installed that scans your network traffic, disable that too.

Also, enable diagnostic logging on your HDHR driver. Run the HDHR Setup app, go the Advanced tab, and check the box to send diagnostic info to SD Support. Then, open a ticket with SD support.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:46 am

Also make sure that the network adapter is configured as "Home/Private" network... Sometimes making a change on the network like changing a router can cause windows to assign the adapter to the default setting of "Public" network.

If using Cisco VPN adapter, uninstall it completely. The "Deterministic network enhancer" feature that determines if a packet needs to be encrypted and sent over the vpn or sent locally interferes with the network tuners.

If using ANY AV/Firewall other than Microsoft Security Essentials and the windows firewall, uninstall them completely. Disabling them will NOT work. Only a complete uninstall will (I have personally seen the issue with AVG, Norton and McAfee). Once removed, reboot, then rerun the SD setup (select repair. This reinstalls components that the AV may have blocked and reconfigures the windows firewall for use by WMC and the SD devices).

I know that you may think "Well it used to work"... The problem with the third party AV/Firewall is that many times they use heuristics or an update will take info effect a while after the initial install... Some of the heuristics is cumulative, so something that did not trip the detection at first may block the traffic later. For many AV/Firewalls "Disable" only means "Monitor/Log but take no specific action". Unfortunately just the act of monitoring can break the link between WMC and the tuners.

Security Essentials and Windows Firewall are safe for WMC if needed.

This affects all OCUR tuners since by design they are technically "Network" devices.

You didnt mention if you meant "Latest Production" or "Latest Beta". If you are not on the latest beta (20130327beta1) you may want to try to update [keeping in mind that the prime cannot be downgraded, so its up to you.... :-) ]. In the 20130125beta1 they fixed and item "Avoid messages found to causes ehRecvr to crash and WMC to report "Viewing or listening conflict" or "Tuner not found". "
Time is on my side.

watts3000

Post by watts3000 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:26 am

Guys I would like to also bring up the problem of jerky video I noticed it last night watch ESPN2 on my bedroom media pc I have not seen this problem on the living room media pc.

Media PC1
P4 3.2 hyper threaded
2 gigs of ram
Radeon HD 6670

Media PC2
Intel Atom Dual core 1.6
2 gig ram
Nvidia Ion Chipset