Password error when setting up connection

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Mitch2012

HTPC Specs: Show details

Password error when setting up connection

Post by Mitch2012 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 pm

I get to see my computer in Select PC to connect but once I select it I get an error:
"Password incorrect please long press on PC to edit. Unable to connect to PC, Please check connection or PC settings"

This is the android app and I don't have any passwords set on the PC service.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:28 pm

Hey there mitch, I am pretty sure you just emailed me, but incase you check here first here is what I wrote:
First a few questions.
1.) Were you able to wi-fi scan for the PC or did you have to manually enter it?
2.) Was the app ever able to connect over wi-fi or is this your first time connecting up?
3.) Do you have any third party firewalls or antivirus installed on the PC?

Troubleshooting tips;
1.) Make sure the date and time are in sync on both your android device and your HTPC. We have a security process in place that relies on this.
2.) On the ceton companion services on the PC can you go to "About"->Diagnostics->then run the diagnostics and send them to me.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Mitch2012

Post by Mitch2012 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:22 am

First a few questions.
1.) Were you able to wi-fi scan for the PC or did you have to manually enter it?
I was able to wifi scan it.
2.) Was the app ever able to connect over wi-fi or is this your first time connecting up?
This is my first time.
3.) Do you have any third party firewalls or antivirus installed on the PC?
No all Windows native, Windows Firewall and Security Essentials

Troubleshooting tips;
1.) Make sure the date and time are in sync on both your android device and your HTPC. We have a security process in place that relies on this.
I’ve synch them but still the same error appears: "Password incorrect please long press on PC to edit. Unable to connect to PC, Please check connection or PC settings"
2.) On the ceton companion services on the PC can you go to "About"->Diagnostics->then run the diagnostics and send them to me.
diagnostic sent.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:36 am

Hey there, I am trying to respond as fast as possible via email. So hopefully we can figure out what is going on. I just replied again, i can handle things via email or gchat if you desire.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:16 am

Mitch2012 wrote:1.) Make sure the date and time are in sync on both your android device and your HTPC. We have a security process in place that relies on this.
I’ve synch them but still the same error appears: "Password incorrect please long press on PC to edit. Unable to connect to PC, Please check connection or PC settings"
Make sure you have the correct time zone set on both the PC and your phone/tablet.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:46 am

We got it working, we just specified a password on each... I am not exactly sure what was going on there. Maybe Mitch can shine more light if it was something on the app side or just user error. Overall just glad that it is now working for him :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Mitch2012

Post by Mitch2012 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank you so much Motz, this was my first post here and really appreciate all your expert help that went into fixing this great app. I had already tried the password on each but during troubleshooting we fixed the times that were off by 15 minutes between computer and android so I'm thinking that could have been why my password test failed while troubleshooting on my own.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:53 pm

I just had the exact same problem. Wrong time and date on the tablet. Companion App asked for the password. Crappy tablet I guess, or do all of them forget what day it is when their battery dies? I found a feature that was not enabled so I turned it on.....Get time from network on boot.

tddimer

Post by tddimer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 am

im havin this same issue with the passwords.. ive checked the time.. no fix.. ive even put in a passowrd on both ends.. nothing..

keeps telling me the password is incorrect! AAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help
im using a toshiba thrive tablet with my HTPC

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 pm

tddimer wrote:im havin this same issue with the passwords.. ive checked the time.. no fix.. ive even put in a passowrd on both ends.. nothing..

keeps telling me the password is incorrect! AAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help
im using a toshiba thrive tablet with my HTPC
Its not just the time, but the timezone for both windows and the tablet needs to be set correctly.

I believe that windows defaults to Pacific time zone and most users with the thrive have disabled the "network provided time" to fix the bug where it asks for timezone every hour.... Thing is, since the daylight time just changed recently many just modify the time and don't set the timezone appropriately... Cetons app/sever requires the time AND timezone to be set correctly for the encryption algorithm sanity check to work correctly.
Time is on my side.