Ceton InfiniTV4 for CLEAR QAM only ?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton InfiniTV4 for CLEAR QAM only ?

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:14 am

I picked up a PCIe for a record price on ebay (do a seach for past sold, yea, I got the cheapest one), As I have been eyeing one for a while.

I will be moving soon and I might get a cablecard (cable in my area sucks where I am now). So I picked this up basing off I could use this in my HTPC and move the ATI cablecard tuner to the office computer. Right now, I only want to use it for clear QAM. I am looking to get a 4 tuner clearQAM setup out of my InfiniTV4 pcie card.

I only get "No signal" out of it. Ceton claims that end users have gotten it to work with clear qam, does anyone here know how this is done ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:24 am

IIRC, you have to have a CableCARD first. Once you get the CableCARD set up, you can then pull the CableCARD and use the tuner as a clear QAM tuner.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:35 am

richard1980 wrote:IIRC, you have to have a CableCARD first. Once you get the CableCARD set up, you can then pull the CableCARD and use the tuner as a clear QAM tuner.
Thanks (Ceton replied right as you did with the same result). Is there a work-a-round to "trick" the Ceton to detect a card that is not there to enable clearQAM for the time being.

Is going to the cable company, asking for a cablecard to return the next day my only option to use this as a 4 tuner ClearQAM tuner for the time being ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:50 am

I am not aware of any way to work around the CableCARD requirement....maybe someone else is?

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:18 am

What cable company are you with. A lot will give you a cable card for free even if you are on their basic plan.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Motz wrote:What cable company are you with. A lot will give you a cable card for free even if you are on their basic plan.

Comcast, I guess there is no work around... Just trying to avoid the trip to the other side of town...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Do you happen to have an M-card in the DCT? If so, couldn't you just call Comcast, have them unpair the CableCARD from the DCT and re-pair it with the InfiniTV? Then go through the steps in WMC, get it working, and then unpair from the InfiniTV and re-pair with the DCT?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:25 pm

richard1980 wrote:Do you happen to have an M-card in the DCT? If so, couldn't you just call Comcast, have them unpair the CableCARD from the DCT and re-pair it with the InfiniTV? Then go through the steps in WMC, get it working, and then unpair from the InfiniTV and re-pair with the DCT?
No, cable TV sucks in my area for HD channels (only 7, besides local and Premium) so no cablecard right now. I guess the only option is to go to Comcrap and get a card. I'm going to be moving in like 2 months, so I want to be ready for cablecard again but, I want to be able to use the tuner for now.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:31 am

The InfiniTV does work as a ClearQAM-only (no CableCARD) tuner. Please PM me your ticket number so I can look into this.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:24 am

David, did you get it going yet? I just wanted to let you know that I ran my Infini4 pcie for quite a while without a cablecard. For me, there wasn't much of a trick to it. Just make sure you have it installed right, and have the newest drivers and firmware from Ceton. Then setup Media Center. First the cable advisor, then playready, then setup the tuners. When I setup mine, I used Comcast Digital Ann Arbor, I think there was 3 choices. After it was setup, I got all the channels that had a dot after them for example 50.1, 7.2, 122.2, there were some more channels at the very end of the channel list with some crazy numbers like 65553.5 that worked also. These channels that have a dot after them cannot be programmed to record, but you can record them manually.

Ideally, you should try to get a M type cablecard, then you dont have to jack around with it. Around here I had to order the Digital Starter to get a cablecard. Yea, it costs a little money, but Comcast has a great product, and beleive it or not, a lot of their employee's actually know what they are doing. No I dont work there.

Just a Ceton fan.

gaijinboricua

Post by gaijinboricua » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:44 pm

I have been trying to setup my infiniTV 4 card for ClearQAM as Cox is not offering cablecard for basic only subscribers. My card seems to find about 11 channels, but when I try to watch TV I receive a "tuner is not available for this request error". Could someone just post a step by step to swet my card up without requiring a cable card? (just PM doesnt help other people looking for solutions online).

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:10 pm

gaijinboricua wrote:I have been trying to setup my infiniTV 4 card for ClearQAM as Cox is not offering cablecard for basic only subscribers. My card seems to find about 11 channels, but when I try to watch TV I receive a "tuner is not available for this request error". Could someone just post a step by step to swet my card up without requiring a cable card? (just PM doesnt help other people looking for solutions online).
If you are going to do ClearQAM without a CableCARD, please make sure your InfiniTV is on the latest firmware offered by the diagnostic utility (1.1.8.2). That said, Cox should still offer a CableCARD - feel free to open a support ticket if you are having trouble getting one.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:50 pm

In my area, Cox does not offer a CableCARD to subscribers of the basic subscription because a CableCARD is not required to access any of the channels. They're all ClearQAM. In order to get a CableCARD, you must subscribe to a package that includes encrypted channels.

Crewski

Post by Crewski » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 am

I'm about to be downgrading my cable service and would like to use my Infinitv as a QAM tuner. Currently there is a cablecard in it that is paired and working well. Do I just need to pull the card out and I'll be able to use it as a QAM tuner? Do I have to manually add the QAM channels? I also have a avermedia duet that I use as a dual QAM tuner...will this put me over the 4-tuner limit or will my Infinitv still count as a cablecard tuner? I'm on the latest firmware beta firmware for my PCIe Infinitv as of 3-4-2013. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Forgot to add that I (unfortunately) have Time Warner Cable in Cincinnati, OH.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:43 pm

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 pm

@Crewski: The average selling price of a used InfiniTV 4 on e-bay is $150. If it doesn't work, sell it and buy Clear QAM tuners to replace it. Problem solved.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:49 am

Crewski wrote:I'm about to be downgrading my cable service and would like to use my Infinitv as a QAM tuner. Currently there is a cablecard in it that is paired and working well. Do I just need to pull the card out and I'll be able to use it as a QAM tuner? Do I have to manually add the QAM channels? I also have a avermedia duet that I use as a dual QAM tuner...will this put me over the 4-tuner limit or will my Infinitv still count as a cablecard tuner? I'm on the latest firmware beta firmware for my PCIe Infinitv as of 3-4-2013. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Forgot to add that I (unfortunately) have Time Warner Cable in Cincinnati, OH.
Why do you need to remove your CableCARD to downgrade your service? This should be unnecessary. Even without a CableCARD in it, the InfiniTV will count as a CableCARD tuner, not ClearQAM.

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:49 am

I have just cut the cord and I want to set up the Ceton as a OTA HD tuner is this possible? It seems like it wants to work I can tune one station but then I change the channel and I get no T.V. signal for then newly tuned channel. I then switch back to the channel that was first tuned and working and it will also give me a no signal detected. The scan for the antenna in media center gives me all green on the channels. Any ideas?

Thank you

Justin

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 pm

The InfiniTV cannot tune 8VSB modulation, so it cannot be used an an OTA tuner.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:33 pm

erkotz wrote:The InfiniTV cannot tune 8VSB modulation, so it cannot be used an an OTA tuner.
That's always disapointed me. Have you guys ever thought about coming out with a new revision that does ATSC? Or not worth it for you guys?