BlackGold BGT3540

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
sorethumbs

HTPC Specs: Show details

BlackGold BGT3540

Post by sorethumbs » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi all i've just bought a BlackGold BGT3540 on Ebay, bit of a gamble as it was sold as faulty as the seller can only get one dvb-s tuner to show up in his Windows 7 64bit.
Has anyone got this card or ever had this model and experienced missing tuners? I'm trying to research the problem before it arrives, seller has no other system to test it on so maybe it'll work fine in mine, never know

Phil

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:18 pm

I think that the 3540 is the BG card that uses the same guts as my old Pinnacle 7010i.

If it is then you may run across problems with slow channel changes and missing tuners after s3 resume - hopefully you'll be fine though!

Post back and let us know how it goes
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:54 pm

Yes from researching around it seems that tuners have disappeared when pc wakes from sleep, but is generally ok after a reboot. Might not be an issue for me as media pc doesn't get used for recording from sleep and i'd only use 2nd tuner to record something should i be watching something else (if that makes sense)

I'll report back when its arrived and installed, it was only £15 so not mega money

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Even if the tuners disappear on resume then there is a fix that I used (as did others).

You should be able to find it by searching the wec site for "devcon" or we can post details here if not.

Definitely worth a punt for 15 squids ;)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

EBH

Post by EBH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:42 am

I have problems wth the BGT3540.

1. Running TV setup in 7MC is very hit-and-miss. Often lock up, crashes or just fails. Sometimes it finds saome tuners, sometimes others, sometimes all 4.
2. After successfull TV setup of all four tuners, the sytsem becomes very unstable. The only way I have found to fix this is to re-run TV setup and select ONLY the two DVB-S tuners or ONLY the DVB-T tuners NOT both types.

I have spent ages trying to get this to work. I tried different drivers. Even changed, RAM, MoBo, Power supply... What's more, my brother in law has the same issue. Having sad that, I have not come across anyone else with the same problem. In the end I got one of the newer models dual DVB-S2 + dual DVB-T (can't remember the product code). This one is "rock-solid".

I hope you have more luck than me.

Cheers

Ben

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:31 am

Reassuring lol
I only really use dvb-s (my freeview aerial is a bit dodgy judging by jumpy channels i get with it plugged direct into tv's own freeview) so won't use the dvb-t tuner. I might just plug the aerial in and see what i get anyway - problems i expect

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Well just installed it and got 2 dvb-s tuners, plugged in the aerial for dvb-t and also getting 2 tuners for that. Tried recording 4 channels at once and they are all recording (2 freeview and 2 satellite) so seems to be a bargain buy.

I've now run into a problem where my pc can go to sleep but doesn't wake up (its an Asus P5N7A-VM). It will go to sleep but neither the keyboard, mouse or remote will bring it out of sleep. A manual recording i've just done in media center didn't bring ot out of sleep either, only thing that does is to push the power button on pc. In bios i have Auto, S1 or S3 option. Auto and S3 i've tried and it still won't wake up (only power button does it), using standby tool doesn't work either.