Recently Lost Channels - Troubleshooting

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Doctor Feelgood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recently Lost Channels - Troubleshooting

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:53 pm

I have a pair of HD Homerun Primes that have been about perfect since I installed them last year. No real problems to mention.

I recently started noticing macroblocking and audio issues on some channels - all of which are non-HD - and now some of them are unable to be tuned at all on one Prime, while the original issues still exist on the other Prime where the image/audio quality is poor.

I assume this is a signal issue - and since nothing has changed on the hardware side of things inside the house, I assume I will need the cable company to get involved.

I just wanted to check here first, as I don't know how well things will go with the cable company trying to resolve this. Was wondering if maybe a filter might be in order - or if anyone had some good ideas..

Some other information:

I did happen to update to the latest Prime firmware somewhat recently too - and these are channels I don't watch much, so I can't say if it happened before the upgrade, immediately after, or what.

I have Cablevision for TV, and the channels in questions include 121, 122, 123, 124, and 191 that I am aware of. 123 is big because that is Nick Jr for my Kids, and 191 is big because that is Hallmark for my Mother-in-law. All HD channels seem to be fine, including premium things like HBO, MAX, etc...

Internally, everything is hard-wired with CAT6 cable and all routers/switches/NICs are Gigabit capable. I have three Win7 HTPCs that have beyond ample specs, and the issue exists in MCE and the Quick TV program.

Thanks!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:41 pm

What is your signal strength when the issue occurs? You can find more info in the tuner's webpage.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:58 am

Thanks for the suggestion.

First - here is what NICKJR (123) looks like. This is when the screen says no signal detected on the HTPC...

Second - here is the same Prime tuning an HD channel (NHLHD - 791) which looks just fine...

NICKJR has higher signal strength - but no "quality".

Thanks.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:44 am

Those signal strengths are not good; between -10db and +10db is where you should be. I would remove any unnecessary splitters between the main line and the HDHR. I would definitely call the cable company and have them check the signal coming into the house and the integrity of the cable from the utility pole.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks. Looking at other channels later showed -4dB is about the norm.

But, I did buy some different splitters and couplings just now to streamline this as much as possible. We'll see what that does and then if necessary I will call in the cable company.

:thumbup:

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Also dont forget to cap/terminate any unused splitter ports or faceplates. Those can also cause issues.
Time is on my side.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:27 pm

TeddyR wrote:Also dont forget to cap/terminate any unused splitter ports or faceplates. Those can also cause issues.
I was just at Home Depot looking at some caps. Is that a very slim case scenario or can uncapped runs actually cause a lot of signal degradation?

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 pm

TeddyR wrote:Also dont forget to cap/terminate any unused splitter ports or faceplates. Those can also cause issues.
I did get some caps, as one splitter I already owned requires them - but one port is left open. Everything had been fine, but I'll do what I can to get it back that way.

Apparently my home has its own home run with 4 lines - which I have since learned is a very good thing. lol. Hoping this is all fixed with new wiring approach this weekend.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:17 am

Knock on wood - this may be fixed.

Removed the outdoor splitter where I am unsure what the two extra legs were for... terminated the unused leg on the splitter at the HD Primes / cable modem... replaced the older / wimpy cables from the splitter to the HD Primes... ran the Primes network cables straight to the router and not to a switch.

All channels are back, and both HD Primes are getting NICKJR with 94% signal strength (-3.6dB, when it was -10dB) and signal quality is up from 0% to 89%.

Thanks again.