Undo Folder Rename

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
me@mpking.com

HTPC Specs: Show details

Undo Folder Rename

Post by me@mpking.com » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 am

Hi. I updated my My Media Center a few days ago.

I did not notice the update folder names option. Or that it was checked.

Now My Movies won't play my movies because it thinks all the folders names are wrong.

Other than going and MANUALLY renamed ALL of my folders back, is there a way to "undo" this?

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:13 am

There is no mechanism in place to reverse folder renaming. We have had a few users email us and in the next update this option will be off by default for new installs of the services.

Seems like My Movies should be able to re-scan the folders?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

me@mpking.com

Post by me@mpking.com » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:18 am

I feared this was the answer.

There is a way for My Movies to scan. Unfortunately, it's not very desirable. My Movies is generally based on the Bar code on the box to get the exact movie cover, and all information included on that particular edition of the movie. (Bonus Discs, boxed sets, whatever). If you just scan the media files, it will just guess which version of the movie you have, and it most likely won't be the correct one.

So failing an Undo. Is there a log, that hopefully lists a I found NAME, i renamed it to NEWNAME? I only see about 20 or so movies that got renamed (I'm still building my HTPC and haven't digitized all my DVD's yet)

I'm looking now to see if I can export what MyMovies *thinks* the names should be.

me@mpking.com

Post by me@mpking.com » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:04 am

Well, I see that it leaves the original .dvdid file, so manually i was able to copy and paste. Thankfully it was only about 30 movies or so. Very tedious.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:40 am

Sorry for the inconvenience again, like I said we are going to have it off by default in the future based on feedback from a few users.

I do not believe we have any logs for successful renames, it only logs issue if for some reason the folder can not be re-named.

We are also working hard to enable simple integration for pre-existing metadata in our next update.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

byronomo

Post by byronomo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:40 pm

me@mpking.com wrote:Well, I see that it leaves the original .dvdid file, so manually i was able to copy and paste. Thankfully it was only about 30 movies or so. Very tedious.
This just happened to me and it was an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE! I have over 550 DVDs and MyMediaCenter changed the names of over 300 of them. First, it took a long, long time for me to determine how the directory names were being changed (i.e. what software, or what setting in what software). I initially thought it was some new feature in a MyMovies release but Brian Binnerup assured me that there was no code in MyMovies that changes directory names en masse. Then, before I realized what the culprit was, I found and utilized a tool to change all of the directory names back as a batch (which took over an hour to find the right tool, learn it, test it and use it), and thought that was the end of it. I checked back in 20 mins or so, and most of them had been changed BACK TO HAVING THE YEAR! I completely flipped out then.

Fortunately, as I was doing an audit of all of the software on my PC, I happened across MyMediaCenter and then, with a bit of internet searching was able to piece together what was happening and now (hopefully) have fixed this issue (although I do need to do some manual repairs on the MyMovies database). As a MyMovies user, I also did not need the dvdid.xml files, so I was able to batch delete those by searching for the "dvdid.xml" string in windows explorer.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:17 am

I do apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused. We are pushing the beta version to stable tomorrow and this has the change that has this off by default.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

STC

Post by STC » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 am

Would any of you have shadow copies / previous versions turned on for the location you have the folders?
It would need to be NTFS with VSS running so very dependent on how you have storage setup.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123