What are the best HTPC keyboards?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mcewinter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:42 pm

foxwood wrote:
mcewinter wrote:Edit: And I couldn't hand my wife the keyboard and say "Here! you might need this."
There's that "need" word again.

It's not about needing a keyboard - it's about a keyboard being a better tool for certain tasks than a remote.

(And you might be surprised what your wife might do with that keyboard - some of them are actually smarter than their husbands!)
I don't know what to say, we just don't need a keyboard on the HTPC (maintenance aside). We use browsers on the handful of other devices at hand. I can play videos from my iPad to my HTPC so a bigscreen browser isn't needed. Like I said, in the event that I use a keyboard for maintenance, I use my phone or iPad which are already existing fixtures. Sometimes I just use Splashtop to perform maintenance from elsewhere just because I can.

If the only way to watch your preferred entertainment is outside of MC then I can understand why you would use a keyboard and mouse. In my home it isn't convenient and I've gotten along famously with just the MC remote.

Edit: you can replace "need" for "want" as they're interchangable in this discussion.
Edit #2" My wife is undeniably smarter than myself :silent:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:32 pm

staknhalo wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:Also, I sometimes want to see the full, un-cut interview on The Daily Show... so I'll browse to their website, find the interview, and then watch it in full-screen. Try that with a remote.
SecondRun.tv my friend :)
I tried SecondRun.tv once. It was OK, but I was unable to do what I wanted with it. I was trying to get some Romanian TV stations on it. They have live streaming sites, but the media stream on every one of them was encrypted, so I couldn't figure out how to make SecondRun.tv work with them. It would be cool to link it to The Daily Show though. I'll have to give it another try.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:39 pm

I bought a Logitech K400 after it was so well recommended in this thread. It does work better than my old wireless keyboard. I bought it from Amazon for $29 with free shipping. Good deal.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Glad to hear it. Can you answer a question for us? It's unclear whether you actually get the K400 or the K400r ffrom Amazon. The "r" is a newer model with programmable keys and media functions on some of the F-keys. The differences are shown HERE. Can you confirm which one you got?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:17 pm

I got the K400r. It was shipped/sold directly by Amazon. Even with the slow shipping option, I got it in 2 days (shipped from Lexington, KY to Melbourne, FL). I'm using it with Win7 just fine. I really like the "sleep" button. I haven't installed any software for it, except for the drivers that installed automatically when I plugged in the receiver. The instructions that came with the keyboard aren't very specific, but it only mentions the "SetPoint" software in conjunction with Win8.

The function keys are (asterisk denotes the ones that say they are Win8 features):
  • FI/Show Desktop (Same as WIN+D)
  • F2/Switch Applications * (I assume this is the same as ALT+TAB or WIN+TAB)
  • F3/Search
  • F4/Share *
  • F5/Devices *
  • F6/Settings *
  • F7/Previous track
  • F8/Play/Pause
  • F9/Next Track
  • F10/Mute
  • F11/Volume down
  • F12/Volume up
EDIT: I wanted to mention that the F1-F12 labels on the function keys are printed in blue text on the keyboard, which indicates that you have to press the blue "FN" key when you use them. However, when I pressed ALT+F4, I didn't have to hold the blue FN key to close a window. I don't know if this is because I'm using Win7, or if the keyboard is smart enough that when you press the ALT key, then the F1-12 keys work as normal without pressing the FN button.

EDIT 2: I opened a text file in Notepad, and pressed CTRL+F to find some text. I canceled the search box, and then tried to press F3 to "find next". It turns out that in order to "find next", I have to press FN+F3. So, this confirms that the keyboard is smart enough that when you press ALT (and I assume the other interlock keys as well), it knows that you want F1-F12, and you do not need to (nor can you) press the FN button.

I also confirmed that the "search" button works (F3). If I press F3 without holding FN, it opens Windows Search (if there is no foreground application). In Notepad, this opened the same find dialog that you get when you press CTRL+F.

EDIT 3: I installed the SetPoint software. It doesn't allow me to change what the function keys do, so I assume this must be a Win8-only feature. Actually, it really didn't do anything for me, so I uninstalled it.
Last edited by barnabas1969 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:54 pm

Good info. Thanks. In the SetPoint software you'll also find a checkbox to make the F functions primary so they always work without the FN key. Personally, I've reprogrammed most of mine to launch different apps, among other things.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I installed the SetPoint software. It doesn't allow me to change what the function keys do, so I assume this must be a Win8-only feature. Actually, it really didn't do anything for me, so I uninstalled it.
I think you've just run into a bug (supposedly fixed in the latest version 6.52). I had the same problem initially. Setpoint works in both Win 7 and 8 (I run Win 7). But you get no programming options unless you go into the unifier settings and un-pair then re-pair the K400r. Then you should see all the options. I choose to run it for the function key changes, pinch to zoom, make the sleep button functional, make the media button launch WMC, etc.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:40 pm

mdavej wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I installed the SetPoint software. It doesn't allow me to change what the function keys do, so I assume this must be a Win8-only feature. Actually, it really didn't do anything for me, so I uninstalled it.
I think you've just run into a bug (supposedly fixed in the latest version 6.52). I had the same problem initially. Setpoint works in both Win 7 and 8 (I run Win 7). But you get no programming options unless you go into the unifier settings and un-pair then re-pair the K400r. Then you should see all the options. I choose to run it for the function key changes, pinch to zoom, make the sleep button functional, make the media button launch WMC, etc.
I did install 6.52 (downloaded from Logitech's site for Win7 x64). I'll try reinstalling it, and then un-pairing and re-pairing (and maybe a reboot too).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Oh, now that's interesting! I re-installed SetPoint 6.52, and rebooted. I still saw no change. Then, I un-paired, and re-paired the new keyboard. Voila! Now, I see a whole bunch of new options! Good thing I still had my old keyboard, or I would have been SOL. I'm experimenting with the settings now.

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:58 pm

If anyone is in the market, the lenovo n5902 multimedia remote/keyboard is on sale for $35

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/90820/l ... ontpage%29

Ack

Post by Ack » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:17 pm

EmirOfGroofunkistan wrote:If anyone is in the market, the lenovo n5902 multimedia remote/keyboard is on sale for $35

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/90820/l ... ontpage%29
That's a nice keyboard/mouse if you can live with the smaller single-hand type. I have the first generation and really like it. I've been contemplating getting this newer model and now think I will. Thanks for the sale tip.

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Ack wrote: That's a nice keyboard/mouse if you can live with the smaller single-hand type. I have the first generation and really like it. I've been contemplating getting this newer model and now think I will. Thanks for the sale tip.
I have this model and the backlit keys make it worth it. I'm not sure I like the mouse as much - I think the trackball was more immediately responsive. But overall it still works well. It's not too rare to see it at this price - seems to be an item that is on "sale" somewhat regularly.

Ack

Post by Ack » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Ah, I hadn't noticed they replaced the track ball with an optical control. I will still get it as I really like the one handed convenience and need the back lighting. Thanks again for bringing this up.