Friday 2/22 = RMA day

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kingwr

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by kingwr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Over two weeks now and still no word from Ceton on the return of my Echo purchased through Amazon. Anyone else having this issue? I think they are hoping I will forget.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

I don't imagine they are waiting for you to forget. I'd imagine they're busier than all get out, what with trying to process a whole lot of returns on top of their already busy work days.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Imagine a room with 100 people in it. Half are returning, and the other half are keeping Echo's. The Ceton guy at the sales counter yells out "Hey, all you people returning Echo's, c,mon up to the front of the line". I don't think that's gonna happen.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:33 pm

It's becoming obvious that timelines aren't their strong suit. I don't own product one from Ceton but Andoid on the echo has me intrigued, but my excitement is waning.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Android Echo seems like an immense task but has tons of promise, which is why I'm not sure if I should be excited or scared. But personally I'm gonna ride or die.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:02 pm

I'm glad I bought my Echo directly from Ceton. I got my refund in a short period of time. I agree that they should have notified the resellers of the extended warrantee period. I understand that Ceton would want to service new and existing customers before they service people who want to return the product, but if they had notified the resellers of the policy, then maybe the resellers (Amazon, Newegg, etc.) would have processed the returns in a more timely fashion.

Android on the Echo looks interesting, and I like their idea (mostly). But if the Echo only presents what is available in the "My Media Center" app, it will be missing the mark in many ways. The app is cool, and I like it... for scheduling recordings when I'm away from home... but I don't think it could replace the Media Center interface that is presented on the existing extenders in its current form.

One other concern that I have with Android/Echo is that the user experience will be significantly different between what is seen on the HTPC (and other extenders) vs. the Echo.

The Ceton fanbois (and shills) here on this site can say what they will... but the cold, hard fact is that Ceton didn't deliver on their promise with the Echo. It's an embarrassing failure. I hope they pull it off, but I wasn't willing to finance their endeavor prior to seeing the proof. I will probably buy another Echo at some point in the future to see if they've managed to make it work reliably, but for now... my old Linksys and HP extenders deliver a better experience.

Phil Seastrand

Post by Phil Seastrand » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:04 pm

mcewinter wrote:It's becoming obvious that timelines aren't their strong suit. I don't own product one from Ceton but Andoid on the echo has me intrigued, but my excitement is waning.
There are two extremes in how a vendor communicates with their customers. On one extreme, the vendor is very candid and communicates every plan, mis-step, delay, etc. On the other extreme, the vendor doesn't say anything until launch day, then offers no more info until the next update is available. Ceton is more like the first case in that they share much of their work-in-progress. Apple is a good example of the other extreme where they share almost nothing. Which do you prefer? In my case, I applaud Ceton for being so open with their communication and understand that based upon typical issues that affect any product development, their plans change from time to time and they often cannot delivery as original communicated.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 pm

I only mentioned time lines, I like that Ceton comes here and makes announcements and applaud them as well. Some things are a work in progress and they should embrace that notion in their announcements.

For the record, I think Ceton is strong company and I appreciate their dedication to Media Center/home entertainment and I'll be glad to buy one of their products when one suits me.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:55 pm

The big difference is that by the time Apple releases a product, it is nearly perfect. If I'm paying for the product, I think I would prefer the "nearly perfect" one compared to the "obviously flawed" one.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Phil Seastrand wrote:Ceton is more like the first case in that they share much of their work-in-progress.
They used to be like that, prior to the Echo being released. Since then, the Ceton folks have been less and less active on the boards, they've made fewer releases, blog posts, or whatever. Information from ceton is darn near impossible to come by these days. In their latest SotE blog post, they didn't address a single outstanding issue, instead diverting attention to the Android platform.

And as was mentioned above, I'd also much rather have a nearly perfect product from a silent company than a product that simply didn't work on initial release from a bunch of swell guys that chat on internet boards with me.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 pm

kingwr wrote:Over two weeks now and still no word from Ceton on the return of my Echo purchased through Amazon. Anyone else having this issue? I think they are hoping I will forget.
For those who purchased an Echo from Amazon and have had issues processing a return: we've been working with Amazon on how to handle returns that are outside of their standard policy. We apologize that it’s taken longer than expected to resolve. We've been waiting on an answer from them on how to handle extended returns and expect to have resolution very soon. We’ll get back to you individually via the Ceton Support system or through Amazon, depending on where you initiated your return request.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

vert18

Post by vert18 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:27 am

I bought from amazon

last week i bought another echo from amazon.. which us now in the bedroom and my first echo is in the family room

I might curse n moan here on the forums when having problems with the echo... but the echo does a good job most of the time so far....

then again I'm only using it for Comcast tv(premium too) and recording programs and play back

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Amazon is a GREAT company and I am a loyal customer. However, Amazon traditionally does not do well with anything that is outside their normal procedure or policy. The software engineers rule at Amazon.