Need Xbox Live Acct to Play other formats?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need Xbox Live Acct to Play other formats?

Post by choliscott » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:52 am

Hello, When I tried to play a converted file, my XB360, gave the message "a media update is required to play this content". I logged into my Live acct, downloaded the update & the video played fine. Today when I tried to watch another video, it gave the same message again. When I signed into my Live acct, I was able to play the video with no problems.

I read another message (from another board) that said this having a Live acct was a necessity. Is this still the case?

Thanks

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:15 am

You have to have an Xbox account to download the additional codecs, but you don't need to be signed in to play videos afterwards.

I can't remember when my Xbox was last logged into Xbox Live. It's probably behind by several updates, but it still plays videos just fine.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:29 am

Ok I figured out the problem. I have multiple Xbox's & used the same Live acct to download the codec on my original that I tried with the one with issues. I created a new acct & was able to download & watch the video without having to be signed in
mark1234 wrote:You have to have an Xbox account to download the additional codecs, but you don't need to be signed in to play videos afterwards.

I can't remember when my Xbox was last logged into Xbox Live. It's probably behind by several updates, but it still plays videos just fine.