Anyone use a Kworld 499-T2 in UK?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
peeky1323

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone use a Kworld 499-T2 in UK?

Post by peeky1323 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:29 am

Hi,

Firtly, thanks for creating this site, it's a welcome addition. To those that say it fragments the "community" I say 1) get out more 2) vote with your feet and that's what I did when I moved to this forum!

Now on to my quesiton if that's OK :) . Has anyone been using the Kworld Dual 499-T2 usb stick in the UK? I bought one to replace my Hauppauge TD stick that had a failed tuner. The Kworld would not get ITV or Channel 4 (and the other ones on that MUX) very well al all. It would break up and then go completly afdter about 10 seconds and give me the "no signal" screen. After 6 weeks 1 of the tuners failed so I was sent a replacement. This one has the same issue. My TD stick worked fine for 3 years (untill it broke). I had an arial test done and the verdict was super strong and clean. I tried a signal booster but it made it worse which I expected as the signal gain was probably too high with it on.

I was wondering if anyone esle is using this and what their results were. I have latest drivers and the stick is on a .5m USB extension. I am thinking the shielding on the internal split (to make it 2 tuners) is just really bad and the PC fans and LCD TV etc are causing interferance of some kind.

Any advice or comments would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Matt

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 am

Hi, welcome to TGB.tv!

I've never used that make of tuner myself.

I have two random ideas:

1. Go to the site below, enter your postcode and see what power levels the MUX in question is using - some transmitters are still outputting some stations at quite a low level until the surrounding areas have all completed the digital switchover.

http://www.ukfree.tv/transmittersmenu.php

2. If the MUX is at full power then you could maybe try attenuating the signal a bit - I've seen tuners that can't cope with strong signals, especially USB ones (I'm not sure if they're maybe optimised to work with crappy signals - like you get with the included antenna!)

Places like Maplin sell variable attenuators if you want to try it - they should be well under £10

Let us know how you get on.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

peeky1323

Post by peeky1323 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi,

Resorrted to my old busted Hauppauge TD (with only 1 tuner working) for now as the Kworld wasn't much good for me. Does anyone know if this 499-2T actually does Freeview HD (DVB-2T)? I am thinking it wont and it's just a cleaver (and misleading) product model number.

From the spec sheet it seems to only do DVB-T.

Thanks,

Matt

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:56 pm

yep, only a dvb-t