Someone who actually likes the Echo.

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
vert18

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by vert18 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:56 am

well both do it.. (the dmas) might require me to wait and twittle my thumbs... before hitting the on button a few times waiting and waiting... yawn..

anyways the echo is working at a tv viewer right now.. will check a recorded video or two soon as i get home from work..

DMA-2100s not hacking it enough for the family right now.. (kids 2 and 4 and the wife)

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:58 pm

I don't think the DMAs are all that slow once you turn off menu transitions. Slowness is more due to the backend HTPC and/or your network and tuners in my experience - with a newly built SSD-based, i5-3570k CPU HTPC the DMA2100 I have is not slow. But we only use it for live and recorded TV.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:11 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:I don't think the DMAs are all that slow once you turn off menu transitions. Slowness is more due to the backend HTPC and/or your network and tuners in my experience - with a newly built SSD-based, i5-3570k CPU HTPC the DMA2100 I have is not slow. But we only use it for live and recorded TV.
Exactly, my DMA is lighting quick, but I have done several things. A) I have a lot of stuff on my GB network so I have 3 ethernet adapters in my HTPC: one to the HDPrime tuner, one to the tv/video stack/DMA, and one to the rest of the network, they are all 'bridged' in the HTPC. B) I added a SSD cache to the HTPC.
My channel changes are a fast as a cable box, maybe faster and startup time is somethimes just several seconds.