USB to HDMI with audio?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
docluv01

HTPC Specs: Show details

USB to HDMI with audio?

Post by docluv01 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey Guys

I have an older laptop (dual core 2.1) that I wanted to use WMC in my bedroom to connect to a big screen. The laptop doesnt have hdmi.

I saw on newegg there are a few usb to hdmi adapters, some taht do 1080 with sound.

Has anyone used something like this successfully?

I have a hdhomerun prime with cable card...

Thanks in advance!

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Just be careful what you're getting - a USB signal and a HDMI signal have no overlap, so you can't just get a cable to go from one to the other (MHL aside - see below). There are some converter boxes that basically come with a USB display driver, so that Windows sees an additional video display on the USB port, and the converter box takes that USB video signal and converts it to a HDMI signal - these converters cost about $40 and up.

I haven't used any of these converters, but I wouldn't expect any of them to support HDCP, so you definitely wouldn't be able to watch protected content in WMC with one of these devices.

Some tablets support something called MHL - Mobile High-definition Link, which basically uses a single MicroUSB port to supply both USB and HDMI signals. An MHL cable only costs a few dollars, but it will only work with an MHL device, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any laptops using that technology.

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Yeah, thats actually what I was lookign at...

Newegg has a few and monoprice makes one. I know there simply can't be a "cable" as whichever device will need to be its own graphics card.

The one at Monoprice claims to do 2.1 sound....again, I'm weary...

Was curious if anyone else has used this kind of setup...