Web Remote control of Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jfstockton

HTPC Specs: Show details

Web Remote control of Echo

Post by jfstockton » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm moving over from a SageTV install and one of the features I liked from Sage was the ability to do all of the IR control functions through a web browser. This allowed an easy integration into a single controller that could deal with multiple other devices. Does such an interface exist for the Ceton Echo?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Comments deleted - I just noticed you're trying to control the echo.

Your only option is "My Media Center" but it won't control other devices. ...at least for now, it's a work in progress.

tad

Post by tad » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:21 pm

If you install VMC Controller, you can control your media center (and all extenders) via HTTP commands. It would be pretty easy to build a HTML page with buttons that link to the various commands.

http://vmccontroller.codeplex.com/

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:42 pm

mcewinter wrote:Comments deleted - I just noticed you're trying to control the echo.

Your only option is "My Media Center" but it won't control other devices. ...at least for now, it's a work in progress.
The MyMediaCenter smartphone app controls the echo quite well but there isn't a PC browser based version of the app.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
mcewinter wrote:Comments deleted - I just noticed you're trying to control the echo.

The MyMediaCenter smartphone app controls the echo quite well but there isn't a PC browser based version of the app.
Bluestacks

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 pm

jfstockton wrote:I'm moving over from a SageTV install and one of the features I liked from Sage was the ability to do all of the IR control functions through a web browser. This allowed an easy integration into a single controller that could deal with multiple other devices. Does such an interface exist for the Ceton Echo?
What other devices are you looking to control? If you're looking to control other WMC Extender devices, the My Media Center will do that already - both for Echo, Xbox, Linksys, etc; if you have other WMC machines to control, it will do that as well, I believe. Granted, it'll need to be either via the Win8 metro app or any of the mobile apps.

jfstockton

Post by jfstockton » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:33 am

I just bought a Yamaha Network A/V receiver that has an IPad app for controlling it, and I have a number of other devices, like an AppleTV 1 running XBMC (for legacy DVD movies), a ROKU box (for Netflix) and a stand-alone Blu-Ray player. I'd be happy if I could get the Yamaha A/V Receiver, Ceton Echo, ATV/XBMC and ROKU all working through the web. Once I have the command syntax, I can write a quick script that serves a page and when you click on links, sends a page request to the appropriate box and then returns to whatever page I planned on it viewing.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:10 am

But why get out your computer when you can just use a remote without looking at it and with one hand?

I basically use the MyMediaCenter app to add recordings when I'm away as it is distracting to be looking down at my phone while watching a movie.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 am

Sammy2 wrote:But why get out your computer when you can just use a remote without looking at it and with one hand?
I say we keep that argument confined to that one thread. It's bad enough having to read how the Echo gave everyone cancer in every other thread on this board; I don't want to start seeing remote vs keyboard debates in the rest.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:45 pm

This thread is specifically that discussion though.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:27 pm

jfstockton wrote:I just bought a Yamaha Network A/V receiver that has an IPad app for controlling it, and I have a number of other devices, like an AppleTV 1 running XBMC (for legacy DVD movies), a ROKU box (for Netflix) and a stand-alone Blu-Ray player. I'd be happy if I could get the Yamaha A/V Receiver, Ceton Echo, ATV/XBMC and ROKU all working through the web. Once I have the command syntax, I can write a quick script that serves a page and when you click on links, sends a page request to the appropriate box and then returns to whatever page I planned on it viewing.
I have a Yamaha RX-A2010. I use EventGhost (EG) to control it. It is possible, via EG, to control the Yamaha receivers via RS-232 or Ethernet. I've tried both. Both work fine. I am currently using Ethernet because it requires one less cable connected to the AVR.

If your other devices allow network and/or RS-232 control, then EG can probably help you... if you're willing and able to set it up. It's NOT a simple configuration by any means. It requires someone who is patient, willing to experiment, and has a problem-solving aptitude.