TV Signal Set-up Problem

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
rblum19

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV Signal Set-up Problem

Post by rblum19 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:37 am

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been brought up, but I did not see any title that suggested that it had in my cursory glance through the pages of the forum.

When I go to set up my cablecard, everything seems to go fine until I call the cable company. Then, they either say that they were unable to pair it, or if they are the pair doesn't hold for more than a few minutes. My tuning adapter (Motorola MTR700) doesn't flash the red messaging light, which I'll assume is part of the problem, but I want to try to find out of there's anything I can do for it and the card before I resort to exchanging, since the store isn't exactly right next door. When I go through Ceton Diagnostics, everything checks out on the device page. On the Cablecard page it alternates between detecting the cablecard on some refreshes, and saying on others that it cannot detect a cablecard, make sure there is one (note that I've made sure it's detected every time they try to pair it). It also says that it needs a validation signal and a hit, but I assume those are because of the problem, not causing it. When I check the diagnostic webpage, it says for the card that binding authentication is complete, validation signal not yet received. It says for the tuning adapter that it is 'waiting for initialization', and is stuck there (note that the pair didn't go through even when it seemed like it was working right)

I know this may not even be an issue with the Infinitv, but I figured if someone who has one has had this problem before, they might have some specialized knowledge that can help me. Thank you in advance.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:03 am

Many of us have had that problem. Cable companies are often inept when it comes to activating cable cards. You can keep trying over the phone or open a support ticket with Ceton and let them go to bat for you.

As far as I know, a cable card is a one-way device, meaning there is no way the cable company can tell if the pairing worked unless you tell them. So this is more evidence they have no idea what they're doing.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:17 pm

I have had an instance where I had to remove and reseat the cable card for it to function properly.
I would recommend shutting down to do this, although it may not be necessary.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:30 pm

The Tuning Adapter has no involvement in the pairing process. Without seeing specific data from your configuration, I can't say what's wrong, however if the CSR is saying they can't pair it, it sounds like they aren't familiar with the correct process. I recommend playing "CSR roulette" and calling in again. If that still doesn't work, open a support ticket with us and we will reach out to your cable provider.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation