infiniTV network tuners

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
docluv01

HTPC Specs: Show details

infiniTV network tuners

Post by docluv01 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 am

Hey guys, I finally got my mini pc setup with the tuner and cable card. worked flawless

set it up on a dual core 2.1 atom, with onboard video....works great.

Was thinking of assigning one of the tuners to another pc in the house. (3 tuners to main pc, and 1 tuner assigned to client).

my 2 questions are:
1) would the network sharing put a burden on the minipc? the cpu isnt that great, however the onboard GPU seems to be doign a lot of the work while watching tv.

2) If sharing a tuner across your home network, does it put a significant load on your LAN? if I were to share 2 of the tuners, would that kill my network? (and cpu)

I have the infinitv usb...but was wondering if the HDhomerun prime had an issue, regarding network load? i have a bunch of small pc's in the house, all dual core atom, and onbioard video. if i could get rid of all my crappy cable boxes I would. Not concerned with sharing content to other pc's. just dont want to kill home lan. i do a lof of file sharing, and speeds have been good :)

Thanks in advance!

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 am

If the lan is gigabit, dont worry about it... For the Ceton main thing to remember is that tuner sharing is not supported on windws 8 as the "source' of the tuner (you didnt mention if your main machine was W8 or W7).

I have 3 HDHR3-CCs (Primes), and 2 HDHR-USs on my home network and things still work very well (with the exception of some of the issues with the echo; but thats another story :-o ...)

Each stream can be a max of 19mbs (OTA). Most cable systems compress it to 9-13 for HD and 2-5 for SD. That should be fine for 3-5 streams on a 100mb full Duplex network.

With the Ceton you have to specify which PC will be using the shared tuner. With the HDHR it will dynamically assign the tuner to the machine that requests it if one is availible.

With the Ceton the network sharing does take a slight toll on cpu, but I am not sure if the CPU that you have would be affected..

The prime does care about the network equipment and that it is free of errors (cables/etc), IGMP multicast, and other network settings...

BTW: There is someone over at the SD forums that stated that they had 24 HDHR3-CCs on one network...(http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 86&#p80786)
Time is on my side.

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:34 am

I've got a not very powerful AMD E-350 and network tuners work with no problem or slowdown at all in regards to CPU usage.

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Yeah, everything I have is Windows 7.

I bought an echo, but wasn't very happy with it, as it was very finicky with my setup. However, I find the Infinitv usb tuner to be a phenominal product.

Rather then buying extenders, I have various pc's laying around teh house (older dual core atom). I was shocked and impressed that it worked with an old mini-pc I had! <-- (im new to WMC)

Yeah, my LAN is gigabit. the pc with the tuner is a Intel Atom D2700 (2.13 GHz, dual-core). For HD content, thats pretty good. I stream a lot of blurays across my network from a quad core pc. Just trying to avoid the tv going out or becoming unstable in one room, while I'm watching a bluray in another room :)

Maybe put the tuner on the quad core pc and share them out?

TeddyR wrote:If the lan is gigabit, dont worry about it... For the Ceton main thing to remember is that tuner sharing is not supported on windws 8 as the "source' of the tuner (you didnt mention if your main machine was W8 or W7).

I have 3 HDHR3-CCs (Primes), and 2 HDHR-USs on my home network and things still work very well (with the exception of some of the issues with the echo; but thats another story :-o ...)

Each stream can be a max of 19mbs (OTA). Most cable systems compress it to 9-13 for HD and 2-5 for SD. That should be fine for 3-5 streams on a 100mb full Duplex network.

With the Ceton you have to specify which PC will be using the shared tuner. With the HDHR it will dynamically assign the tuner to the machine that requests it if one is availible.

With the Ceton the network sharing does take a slight toll on cpu, but I am not sure if the CPU that you have would be affected..

The prime does care about the network equipment and that it is free of errors (cables/etc), IGMP multicast, and other network settings...

BTW: There is someone over at the SD forums that stated that they had 24 HDHR3-CCs on one network...(http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 86&#p80786)

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:46 pm

ah, nice! do you also use this pc to watch video?

I do have my wife's old dell laptop. doesnt have a good video card, but it is a dual core. Maybe I can set this up as a tuner server?
RyC wrote:I've got a not very powerful AMD E-350 and network tuners work with no problem or slowdown at all in regards to CPU usage.

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:21 pm

I do use it as my main HTPC! The WMC interface is noticeably slower than my quad core Phenom, and there's interlacing combing on some video, but not enough to bother me. I'm very happy with it, but I would recommend a more powerful system for a better (or even baseline) experience.

If you have a Windows 8 "tuner client", see this http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=3926 I just followed the simple Client instructions since I had a Win 7 "server" and set that up normally. It works perfectly for me.

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:08 pm

Nice! Do you share just 1 tuner or more then 1?

Just tryign to get an idea of load....thinking of setting up dedicated pc for it
RyC wrote:I do use it as my main HTPC! The WMC interface is noticeably slower than my quad core Phenom, and there's interlacing combing on some video, but not enough to bother me. I'm very happy with it, but I would recommend a more powerful system for a better (or even baseline) experience.

If you have a Windows 8 "tuner client", see this http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=3926 I just followed the simple Client instructions since I had a Win 7 "server" and set that up normally. It works perfectly for me.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:36 am

I only share one tuner. However, I've had all four tuners going at the same time, and the computer doesn't seem to slow down at all. I don't think recording is very CPU intensive.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Keep on mind the video card on your PC you wish to view content. You may be able to do OTA and QAM, but for CC channels, you have to pass the System Check, and my Intel 3000HD video isn't up to snuff, so no CC network tuner on my Dell XPS13 Ultrabook.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Jay wrote: for CC channels, you have to pass the System Check, and my Intel 3000HD video isn't up to snuff, so no CC network tuner on my Dell XPS13 Ultrabook.
Intel 3000HD is more than capable of passing the system check! Were you using the laptop screen, or a VGA connection? (VGA won't pass, HDMI will)

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:33 am

foxwood wrote:
Jay wrote: for CC channels, you have to pass the System Check, and my Intel 3000HD video isn't up to snuff, so no CC network tuner on my Dell XPS13 Ultrabook.
Intel 3000HD is more than capable of passing the system check! Were you using the laptop screen, or a VGA connection? (VGA won't pass, HDMI will)
Laptop screen. Interesting, I just re-ran to take a screen shot and it just passed. Gremlins?!?