Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

reggie14

HTPC Specs: Show details

Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

Post by reggie14 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Are there even any games out now that use DirectX 11.1?

There aren't going to be any DirectX 11.1 or 12-only games for quite some time (except, perhaps, for games primarily intended for WindowsRT). I'm not sure I understand the rush to go to Windows 8. I certainly agree that a lack of Windows 8 support is problematic in the long-term (primarily for Ceton, as it will limit future customers/users), but I don't see why any current Win7-WMC user would really want to upgrade to Win8.

[Moderator note: topic split from http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 016#p44016]

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:40 am

reggie14 wrote:Are there even any games out now that use DirectX 11.1?

There aren't going to be any DirectX 11.1 or 12-only games for quite some time (except, perhaps, for games primarily intended for WindowsRT). I'm not sure I understand the rush to go to Windows 8. I certainly agree that a lack of Windows 8 support is problematic in the long-term (primarily for Ceton, as it will limit future customers/users), but I don't see why any current Win7-WMC user would really want to upgrade to Win8.
Due to the withering market for PC's because of tablets the installed base of Win8 and beyond will never reach that of Win7. I don't see this as big of a problem it is made out to be.

Biggen

Post by Biggen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Due to the withering market for PC's because of tablets the installed base of Win8 and beyond will never reach that of Win7. I don't see this as big of a problem it is made out to be.
I disagree. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Micros ... 20890.html

As much as we would like to think Win8 has been a flop Microsoft is still forcing Win8 on hardware vendors. So even if it wasn't a huge commerical success Microsoft will eventually stop supporting Win7 and software companies will move to begin supporting Win8. Ceton will have to do the same at some point. I'm not saying immediately but eventually...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:57 am

Windows 8 doesn't include Media Center. It's a $100 upgrade, unless you buy the Pro version, in which case you pay the extra $100 up front.

So it doesn't really matter how many copies of Windows 8 are sold - for the next 3 or 4 years at least, there will be more Win7 WMC systems in use.

If I was building a brand new HTPC tomorrow, I'd buy a copy of Win7 Home Premium, which includes WMC, for $100 (OEM version), and buy a good remote with the money I saved. If I was buying an "off the shelf" system that comes with Win8, to use as a HTPC, I'd probably prefer a clean Win7 install for $100, rather than have to decrapify the vendors Win8 install and then pay $100 to add WMC.

tootal2

Post by tootal2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 am

They only sold 700 million copies of windows 7. they still use windows xp at work. But the computers only run a cnc macines.
Sammy2 wrote:
reggie14 wrote:Are there even any games out now that use DirectX 11.1?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:03 pm

foxwood wrote:Windows 8 doesn't include Media Center. It's a $100 upgrade, unless you buy the Pro version, in which case you pay the extra $100 up front.

So it doesn't really matter how many copies of Windows 8 are sold - for the next 3 or 4 years at least, there will be more Win7 WMC systems in use.

If I was building a brand new HTPC tomorrow, I'd buy a copy of Win7 Home Premium, which includes WMC, for $100 (OEM version), and buy a good remote with the money I saved. If I was buying an "off the shelf" system that comes with Win8, to use as a HTPC, I'd probably prefer a clean Win7 install for $100, rather than have to decrapify the vendors Win8 install and then pay $100 to add WMC.
Decrapify.. Nice! I refer to that as removing malware..

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Biggen wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:
I disagree. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Micros ... 20890.html

As much as we would like to think Win8 has been a flop Microsoft is still forcing Win8 on hardware vendors. So even if it wasn't a huge commerical success Microsoft will eventually stop supporting Win7 and software companies will move to begin supporting Win8. Ceton will have to do the same at some point. I'm not saying immediately but eventually...
Interesting.. "touch" is all the rage I guess but I still slap the hand of anyone that gets it near my monitor.

But I think that it will still whither over time and lose pace with Win7.

From that Article:
Research firm Gartner said that during the Q4 of 2012, Windows 8 failed to have a "significant impact" on PC shipments. A month after its launch, Windows PC sales decreased by 21 percent, while it's also behind Windows Vista in regards to usage share.

During January 2013, Windows 8's market share stood at 2.2 percent, an increase from 1.72 percent in December 2012. Windows 7, meanwhile, accounted for 44.4 percent of the worldwide operating system market.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Decrapify.. Nice! I refer to that as removing malware..
I think of it as Bloatware, rather than malware - it may be unwanted, but it does serve a purpose, if only in shaving a few bucks off the price of that PC you bought.

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

It's like the junkmail I get in my mailbox at home - it helps pay for the mailman to come to my house 6 days a week (for now :( ), so even though most of it goes straight into the recycling bin, I don't mind it too much. That kid who tosses a "free" local ad-paper on my driveway every weekend, not so much - that's spam, and one of these days I'll take a bunch of them and dump them on the doorstep of the company that sends them out (after I've left them sitting out in the rain to get good and soggy).

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:43 pm

foxwood wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:Decrapify.. Nice! I refer to that as removing malware..
I think of it as Bloatware, rather than malware - it may be unwanted, but it does serve a purpose, if only in shaving a few bucks off the price of that PC you bought.

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

It's like the junkmail I get in my mailbox at home - it helps pay for the mailman to come to my house 6 days a week (for now :( ), so even though most of it goes straight into the recycling bin, I don't mind it too much. That kid who tosses a "free" local ad-paper on my driveway every weekend, not so much - that's spam, and one of these days I'll take a bunch of them and dump them on the doorstep of the company that sends them out (after I've left them sitting out in the rain to get good and soggy).
That's what I meant to say... But some of it is as hard to remove as malware.