Protected content playback issue

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
BenSanford

HTPC Specs: Show details

Protected content playback issue

Post by BenSanford » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:25 pm

I just recently upgraded the BIOS on my Asus Motherboard and installed additional memory. I did not change the Win 7 installation, or anything associated with the Ceton tuner and cable card.

However, now when I try to play back "protected" programs in media center, I get a message that I can only play it back on the computer it was recorded on.

But I am on the computer it was recorded on.

Is there a solution?

Ben
Ben Sanford
Falls Church, VA

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:47 pm

The BIOS upgrade probably triggered the DRM and makes it think it's a new MoBo; hence different computer. I don't think reverting to the old BIOS will fix it either. I think you're SOL. Sorry :(

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:54 pm

staknhalo wrote:The BIOS upgrade probably triggered the DRM and makes it think it's a new MoBo; hence different computer. I don't think reverting to the old BIOS will fix it either. I think you're SOL. Sorry :(
If he did a full image backup before the BIOS update, and downgraded the BIOS and restored the image backup before rebooting, he might get away with it, but I think you're right - the DRM will have made made note of the new BIOS and going back will just look like a 2nd change.

BenSanford

Post by BenSanford » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:31 pm

I was afraid that might be the issue.. :(

It seem strange that MS Windows can understand that my Windows installation is still activated and legal on this MB with updated BIOS.

But apparently the DRM can't see that, and has cause a loss of a lot of recorded media.

I hope that eventually there will be a way around the whole DRM mess, which seems to only inconvenience legitimate users.

Ben
Ben Sanford
Falls Church, VA

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:39 pm

BenSanford wrote:I was afraid that might be the issue.. :(

It seem strange that MS Windows can understand that my Windows installation is still activated and legal on this MB with updated BIOS.

But apparently the DRM can't see that, and has cause a loss of a lot of recorded media.

I hope that eventually there will be a way around the whole DRM mess, which seems to only inconvenience legitimate users.

Ben
On the plus side, you just freed up space for more recordings :D

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Try reverting back to the older version of BIOS before you start deleting recordings.

BenSanford

Post by BenSanford » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 pm

:D Fortunately the problem has been resolved

It wasn't feasible to try and roll back the BIOS update since I needed it for hardware issues - So thinking that I would have to start over on the protected recordings, I went ahead and upgraded to Windows 8, and added Media Center to that.

I used the "Keep everything" option in the Win 8 upgrade because I didn't want to hassle with re-installing a lot of other things. Then since I had to re-install the Ceton software (probably should provide a note that the Beta software for Win 8 won't install until the Win 7 software is uninstalled).

I had to uninstall the existing Ceton software, and then installed the Win 8 software, and re-setup the TV signal. That worked ok, except that the "Playready" component wouldn't install properly. So then I had to un-install the old Playready software (and I also uninstalled the Digital Cable Advisor software). Then I went back into the TV setup in Media Center to reinstall the Playready software, make sure cablecard was recognized, and evidently un-installing the old stuff, and re-installing made the DRM stuff happy.
Ben Sanford
Falls Church, VA