Cannot browse using keyboard Windows 8 app

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
gabrielcab

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cannot browse using keyboard Windows 8 app

Post by gabrielcab » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:24 am

Hello,

I've installed the Windows 8 app, but I cannot navigate using my keyboard?

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:34 pm

We have not fully optimized the app for keyboard 100% throughout the application. It is in my plan for the next app update. the only few commands are backspace to go back and you can type a number in on the guide. I focused a lot of time on touch and mouse as these are usually the main inputs, but will continue to expand on keyboard control
I Write, Code, and Tweet

gabrielcab

Post by gabrielcab » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Motz wrote:We have not fully optimized the app for keyboard 100% throughout the application. It is in my plan for the next app update. the only few commands are backspace to go back and you can type a number in on the guide. I focused a lot of time on touch and mouse as these are usually the main inputs, but will continue to expand on keyboard control
Thanks for the update Motz,

BTW, the Windows app looks really good so far. I hope someday you can make it to play the content directly into the app.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:16 pm

gabrielcab wrote: I hope someday you can make it to play the content directly into the app.
I'll 2nd that! If the app could do that, and would work with the keyboard keys that get sent from the MCE remote, I'd build little Win8 PC's for all the rooms instead of messing with extenders.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:42 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
gabrielcab wrote: I hope someday you can make it to play the content directly into the app.
I'll 2nd that! If the app could do that, and would work with the keyboard keys that get sent from the MCE remote, I'd build little Win8 PC's for all the rooms instead of messing with extenders.
Yeah but that wouldn't cover Live TV; which I wouldn't expect/ask of this app to do.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:10 pm

staknhalo wrote:Yeah but that wouldn't cover Live TV; which I wouldn't expect/ask of this app to do.
If you have a full-blown Media Center PC connected to every TV, live TV could be accomplished with network tuners.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 pm

True true. But then you're still going into Media Center, so why not just watch other machine's recordings via Home Group sharing in Media Center? Shared network folders for the rest of the content. I still think the app should have on-the-go playback (and it will they said) for mobile devices; I just don't see the point of trying to use it to replace Media Center when you have Media Center itself. But, to each his own.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:41 pm

I can't share Copy-Protected recordings. They said that the mobile apps will eventually be able to play ALL of our recordings, including copy-protected ones. If they could add that to the Win8 app, we'd have a winner! I realize that doing so would take some sales away from the Echo, but it wouldn't stop all sales of Echo. Not everyone would be willing to spend the money to build a whole new PC for every TV... and the Echo is cheaper than a PC.

But a full-blown Media Center PC, with an app that would allow streaming content from my main HTPC would be wayyyy better than an extender. It would be able to share the recorded TV and series management on the main HTPC, and also would be able to play anything that Media Center and/or TMT can play (shared over the network, of course). There would be no more worry about what codecs the extender can handle.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:44 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I can't share Copy-Protected recordings.
I know you can't via just accessing the recorded TV folder on the remote machine, but isn't it playable on the remote machine via Homegroup?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:53 pm

staknhalo wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I can't share Copy-Protected recordings.
I know you can't via just accessing the recorded TV folder on the remote machine, but isn't it playable on the remote machine via Homegroup?
No. If it was, nobody would need an extender.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Well, today I learned...