TWC + KENS San Antonio

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jaimeknapp

HTPC Specs: Show details

TWC + KENS San Antonio

Post by jaimeknapp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

I am having issues with just one single channel, local KENSDT, copy free. It exhibits as brief pixelation with audio skipping that resolves itself. The frequency of this varies tremendously; at its worst, about 10-15 second intervals. This occurs on the PC alone and all three extenders alike. Ceton diagnostics show a signal of +0.1 dBmV, SN of 37.6 dB, running at 55.4 C.

What truly has me stumped, is that this issue does not occur using the SA 8300HD DVR, or with any of my screens with their internal ATSC QAM tuners. I am also unable to tune this channel as 112.155 Q256 with an old AverMedia 780 tuner in another PC at all through Win7 Media Center, but I can properly resolve it using GB-PVR. I have watched this channel concurrently from an extender from the Ceton and on the other PC with GB-PVR and these anomalies occur at the same time in their streams. Note that if I rewind and replay a segment, the anomaly still exists. Also, the frequency of this occurrence seems much greater during times when there is likely a greater number of viewers of this channel.

I have an EDA-FT08300 drop amp with discrete RG6Q cabling to each device input with no splitters anywhere.

All of this leads me to believe that there is some issue in how this channel is "provisioned." There is no indication that there is any problem with my Ceton InfiniTV PCI (FW 1.1.82, HW 6212 package 1.5.43.04.6) and am loathe to try the beta package since I have no other issues. I need some help and direction in how to proceed with resolving this. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:00 pm

If you record the channel and play it on another PC, do you see the same issue?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Yes, the recorded channel displays the same problems when played back on a completely different PC.

treodoc

Post by treodoc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:27 am

I'm in San Antonio also and have noticed the same pixelation problem with KENS 105, and btw I'm using the beta firmware so there's no need for you to update to beta. Like Jamie, the pixelation problem is definitely only with KENS.

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Treodoc, thank you for supporting my suspicion that my structure and configuration are not at issue, seemingly to confirm the problem must lie within TWC. Have you also noticed that the frequency of this problem would seem to be associated with a given program's broader viewership? Daytime programs occasionally exhibiting it, but primetime shows being so annoying as to be unwatchable? Also, I am in the MacArthur Park area, should there be some node correlation.

My belief is that there is little to no hope for help directly through TWC, but do you believe that there is any avenue to report this through KENS?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Does anyone have an OTA antenna? If so, can you check and see if you see these issues with the OTA transport stream?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

treodoc

Post by treodoc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Fortunately, I don't watch KENS very much... usually just the morning newscast so I haven't be able to correlate it with the number of viewers like you seem to have noticed. I'm in the far IH10 northwest area. With such a small number of people affected (maybe just the two of us), I doubt that this problem represents even a minute blip on either TWC or KENS's radar screens.

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Sorry, no OTA antenna here.